Nolan Classic N100

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Nolan Classic N100

Post by Passx »

Hi all,

Thought I'd give my .02 on the purchase of my new Nolan Helmet. I bought the Nolan N100 Classic towards the end of this year and haven't put thousands of miles on with it but with the couple of 100 I have some opinions on it. It has the flip front which is nice now that I have the 4 eye syndrome and it is very light compared to my previous HJC full face. The flip feature is fairly easy to use but there are moments that it fights me. The noise level inside is somewhat higher than i would like and I'm going to call Nolan to see if they have anything to minimize this, I don't wear ear plugs do to a personal issue where they tend to make me loose my balance but if you wear them this noise issue is minimal. The fit is good but once the chinbar is latched the padding on the straps tends to put a lot of pressure on my cute little chubby cheeks and jaw, this may improve with time or diet. The flip shield is easy to use and the vents are probably the best and most effective I've ever used. The added breath guards for the nose and chin are minimally effective for reducing fogging but they do help although they tend to push the fog back onto the aforementioned extra set of eyes fogging them. If any of you has any suggestions for reducing the noise levels please feel free to add them. I added some thin foam around the bottom corners from the OE seals back to the shield edge and this did help reduce the noise but I feel that the levels are excessive. I bought my Nolan from Dennis Kirk's Outlet store for $117 which is quite cheap and any of you that haven't visited this place it is a great source for clearanced items cheap. Hope this helps

Steve P. #5220

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

We bought Shoei X11s and your Nolan report could have been used for them also....item for item.....line for line

Point of saying this is the X11 are lots more expensive than the Nolan and yielded same results......and I guess we know what that means ...right.

Mike

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Nolan Classic

Post by Passx »

Mike one thing that I meant to include is that the Nolan has a neat tab system instead of the usual D rings where you just slip the end into the ratcheting lock and that's it quick & easy BUT and it's a big one there's no way to lock your helmet to your bike, the bike locks are all built around the assumption of "D" rings not tabs, I have some ideas on how to get around this but I need a little shop time. Once I figure it out I'll post it so anyone else can do the same.

Steve P. 5220

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Nolan Classic

Post by cbx4evr »

Passx wrote:Mike one thing that I meant to include is that the Nolan has a neat tab system instead of the usual D rings where you just slip the end into the ratcheting lock and that's it quick & easy BUT and it's a big one there's no way to lock your helmet to your bike, the bike locks are all built around the assumption of "D" rings not tabs, I have some ideas on how to get around this but I need a little shop time. Once I figure it out I'll post it so anyone else can do the same.

Did you ever figure something to solve this problem. I have the same issue with my awesome new Schuberth Concept helmet.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Chris, the way I got around this is that I took my "T" lock extenders that I slipped into the former D rings and polished the sides down just enough to fit the tab on the Nolan. I just was on the Nolan website and noticed that they now offer extenders in the correct width, must have been looking over my shoulder. You might want to check with the Schuberth people and maybe they have some already, a little whining may get you some freebies with the cost of the Schuberth. The nolan people were very responsive to my complaints on the noise levels plus rain tended to run inside the helmet and they have since supplied new & improved seals all around which really reduced the noise levels and seems to have stopped the water from running into the helmet in the rain, but I haven't done the torrential horizontal rain test from last years mid-ohio and hope I won't so under those circumstances it may still rain inside but it's fine in "normal" rain now.

One other thing that I might add for the Nolan people out there is that I added the VPS system to this helmet in September and am quite pleased with it, I ride about 20 miles to work going due east which means I repeat that going due west on the way home both into the direct sun and this has helped a bunch. What the VPS system is an external tinted 1/2 shield that flips down over the existing clear shield so sunglasses aren't needed in most riding and when it gets dark just flip it up and you have a clear shield. Now the down side is that for me because of riding directly into the sun particularly in the spring and now the late fall the sun is much lower and I have added a strip of 1" electrical tape across the top edge to block the direct sun out, tends to give a slight tunnel vision effect until you get use to it but I can see w/o being blinded. Hope this helps, by the way I am not a Nolan employee or associated in anyway just please with their willingness to help a customer the way it supposed to be.

Steve P

Return to “RIDER GEAR: Boots, Gloves, Helmets, Jackets, Leathers, Rainsuits, Textile Suits”