Front brake reservoir...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Front brake reservoir...

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The front brake fluid reservoir on my '80 has developed a slight weep. I changed the o-ring with a new Honda part and it is still weeping.
The reservoir itself and the four screw lid are both slightly warped/bulged. Replacement is in order.
Should i go with the stock Honda parts or has anybody had better luck with an aftermarket set-up? Maybe even from a different bike. I actually could use three of these so i am hoping to get it right the first time.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Steve,

I would think that the calipers are going to be your limiting factor with your brakes. Changing to a different master cylinder and using stock calipers would be of limited, if any, benefit.

I've purchased aftermarket rebuild kits for my master cylinders and those kits have worked fine.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Actually gents it is just the reservoir itself that i was concerned with.
I have a set of 1100F calipers and gold rims on the '80 and a 41mm VFR forks and brakes on the '79.
It just seems that the plastic reservoir and lid are a weak link, i have 3 of them that are distorted beyond use. I was wondering if someone aftermarket or Honda made one that was more durable.
Thanks, guys.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Actually gents it is just the reservoir itself that i was concerned with.
I have a set of 1100F calipers and gold rims on the '80 and a 41mm VFR forks and brakes on the '79.
It just seems that the plastic reservoir and lid are a weak link, i have 3 of them that are distorted beyond use. I was wondering if someone aftermarket or Honda made one that was more durable.
Thanks, guys.
Steve,

You can get a matching aftermarket resevoir/lid from Tims.

http://www.timscbx.com/Brakes%20page%203.html

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I have had excellent service out of the stock components although I have never tried aftermarket. If the alumininum body is pitted in the area of the O-ring, it's a no brainer to replace if it doesn't come up well with cleaning. A mistake that several of us have made in the past is to overtighten the 4 screws in hope of curing the weeping. This just exacerbates the problem shortening the life of the plastic "well". A mistake I made was to accidentally assemble the top cover without the steel subframe, ruining a good front fender...... :oops:
ICOA # 656

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Front brake reservoir...

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

i would like to replace my reservoir as well and in the manual it just says "remove the reservoir" it looks like it just pulls or prys off as i can not see any screws holding it on once the cap is off???? i don't want to really force it until i hear from the group. does this just pull or pry off????

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

kbart1 wrote:hey guys

i would like to replace my reservoir as well and in the manual it just says "remove the reservoir" it looks like it just pulls or prys off as i can not see any screws holding it on once the cap is off???? i don't want to really force it until i hear from the group. does this just pull or pry off????

thanks a lot!
kent
Hey Kent,

How's the bike coming along?

You have it right, it's just that simple. Try pulling up one side, insert a flat screwdriver on a bit of inner tube to shield the body, from both sides at the same time. Then pry up. It did take a fair amount of force to get the old hard plastic to pop out, but out it came. If its off the bike put it into a padded vice and warm it up with a heat gun for 30 sec first.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Best trick is to rotate the plastic reservoir as far as you can and pry where any marks you might leave won't show. It'll take some force to pop it off. Works on either style of m/c.

Dave

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”