Front and rear caliper rebuilds

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Front and rear caliper rebuilds

Post by herdygerdy »

Just wanted to say a big thanks to J.R. Luksik (CBX-tras) on here for the great service when he provided me with a full set of new caliper pistons and seals for my '78 CBX.

Ages ago, I managed to score a set of twin piston CB900F2C front and rear calipers and rotors that were a very simple bolt on replacement to my '78 forks.

After rebuilding the calipers on the weekend and fitting and bleeding the fronts, (am doing the rear this weekend) I now have a REALLY solid front brake, so much so that the lever only comes in about a 1/2" from fully extended.

Kinda' makes me realise there was probably remnants of air in the lines for the last few years - Doh!

Delivery from JR was fast and painless and everything worked flawlessly. Thank you.

Courtesy of Youtube, I also discovered a trick to get all the air out of the lines. You simply tie the front brake lever firmly back with a cable tie so the brake is on and leave it that way overnight.

Legend has it that this allows all the micro sized air bubbles to make their way up through the lines in their own good time and are then vented out through the master cylinder.

I was VERY happy the next morning when I released the lever and then tested the brake, possibly helped by the stainless braided lines I also have installed. YMMV.

Thanks again JR, love your work! :text-thankyouyellow:

Cheers...Tony 8)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Front and rear caliper rebuilds

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good 'stuff', Tony. Thanks.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Glad it all worked out Tony! Just FYI, that tip has been mentioned here many times over the years. I also have a bleeding procedure I've outlined here that get all the air out very quickly and with little wasted brake fluid. You'll be very happy with the results of your brake conversion. Here is the link to one of those discussions:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8634&p=66090&hilit ... ing#p66090
Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

herdygerdy wrote: Courtesy of Youtube, I also discovered a trick to get all the air out of the lines. You simply tie the front brake lever firmly back with a cable tie so the brake is on and leave it that way overnight.

Legend has it that this allows all the micro sized air bubbles to make their way up through the lines in their own good time and are then vented out through the master cylinder.

Cheers...Tony 8)
It is worth a try, definitely. However, don't put all your money on it. I have tried this (and a myriadof other things) on my mushy feel front brake lever on my KZ1300 and it did not help. :think: :snooty:

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Thanks for comments and yr support as always Dave & Larry.

TBH, I'm not at all surprised the 'tie back the lever' thing had been posted before and thanks for your gravity tips. I was fortunate that all the air came out pretty quickly.

EMS, it sure is a bugger when you put a lot of effort into rebuilding your brakes, only to be left with a 'meh' lever feel and braking power that feels like you are trying to stop a yacht. Are you also running braided lines, or still OEM?

Cheers...Tony

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Braided lines, Tony!

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”