Rear brake drag

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rear brake drag

Post by whatscooking »

This site has not only cost me a lot of money, I now own two CBXes, but it has saved me money and time. The rear rotor on my 79 would be hot sometimes when I would get off and check it after feeling a drag. So I did what I have done a few times with other bikes and removed the rear caliper and cleaned the crust and crud out. Went out for a hundred mile ride and the problem reared its ugly head again. I was able to get the tool kit out and loosened the bleeder and it let go. On the way home I was thinking hose collapsing or master cylinder problem somehow.
I got on here and read up on brake drag and got in on the post about the little hole plugging. Sure enough it looked like the one in the pictures. Snot and crust so bad I am surprised it worked at all. I finally got the hole cleaned out to the third poker in the carb jet cleaner tool I have and got everything cleaned. Rear caliper and hose off again to be cleaned. I went ahead to the front and did all them also.
Problem fixed, the tire will now spin several times around with my foot when I give it a test.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Rear brake drag

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good show. Thanks for the input. This the kind of thing that will help someone.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

I cleaned out the grooves on the pads and sanded them down a little bit to get the crud off of to help and lubed the pins but where do you get the rest of the hardware with the pads. The slider plates and the other piece that has the arrow on it, I suppose these are a anti-raddle\noise part.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Great that you got it working again. That "spooge" hole can be a bugger. But, if it was as bad as you say, it would probably be worth the effort to pull the master and go through it, too. At the very least, it sounds like a complete purging and flushing of the lines would be prudent given the buildup you described.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

I apologize for my poor communication skills, I was talking about the rear master cylinder bleed hole as the problem. I cleaned the slave out just fine but the problem was still there as I found out on the 100 mile trip. Opening the bleeder released the grip so that is when I went to the master cylinder and found the real problem, after reading up on it here.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Changing your brake fluid every other year will prevent the problem from reoccurring.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Another area to keep a close eye on is the lubrication (or lack of) on the brake pedal splined pivoting spindle that pushes on the master cylinder.

The bush in the footrest mounting side plate that support the rotating spindle is notorious for getting rusty and so munged up that it causes the shaft to bind slightly on the bush, thereby holding the brake pedal on slightly and creating drag.

Seen a couple of those now and the difference when cleaned and lubed is night and day.

And take care when removing the wee rubber bung from the end of the brake spindle (assuming it is still there).

Don't force it when you pull it our, else you will tear off off the rubber "willy-shaped" piece that slides into the hole on the shaft. (and no inappropriate innuendos please!)

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”