Colour of Honda decal on tail piece?

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

dkcape
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Colour of Honda decal on tail piece?

Post by dkcape »

Recently had the Z sprayed the candy red.Peter the painter put a white Honda decal on the tail piece.Said i thought it should be gold.Then went to look at another candy red bike and it was a glitter silver.What colour should it be? With regards to the silver bike, i believe the decal is black.Is that correct?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Colour of Honda decal on tail piece?

Post by EMS »

Correct. On the red bike the Honda decal is gold, on the silver bike it is black.

dkcape

Post by dkcape »

Thanks,thought it would be gold and not white as there is no white pin stripes.

dkcape

Re: Colour of the black cbx?

Post by dkcape »

Am looking to have one of my CBX,s done in black.Can any one tell me if the black in the center of the tank and tail piece is the same and the colour of the stripes?Also are the stripes in the same place as the red and silver?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What do you mean, when you say "stripes"? Do you mean the pin-stripes on the tank and on the tail?

dkcape

Post by dkcape »

Yes the pin -stripes on the tank and tail piece.Also is the black in the center of the tank and tail the same as on the sides?And what colour are the pin stripes.Would they be the same as the red CBX?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the black paint is all the same for the tank and tail. Yes, the red and black bodywork have the same color pinstripes. Only the silver is different. Any place you buy the pinstripe kit for the CBX will know the difference and clearly note that.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

dkcape wrote: .Also is the black in the center of the tank and tail the same as on the sides? ?
Still confused...

But, as Dave said, the pinstripe/decal vendors offer the right set - except for one, where I saw a tank decal for a Perseus Silver being a mix of red/gold and black/red.
Unless you want to have the pinstripes painted???

Candy Glory Red and Black bikes' pinstripes are red(orange) and gold and Perseus Silver bike has black and red pinstripes.
Watch for the application of the stripes on the tail. The orientation should match the top of the tank

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Seems there is a question of exactly what the silver '79s came with. Can someone with an original silver '79 confirm whether all the striping was orange/black, or were the top tank and tail stripes orange/gold? I never had a silver one, but have seen lots and never paid that much attention. A silver '79 on eBay right now, with a repainted silver body, has the orange/black and gold/black combo - wondering what IS correct.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Seems there is a question of exactly what the silver '79s came with. Dave
:D :o :D As usual, Dave is on to something. I have a NOS silver tank and the top of the tank stripes are indeed red(orange) and gold, just like the red and black bikes. And I assume the tail would be the same. Makes sense, as a black pinstripe would not set itself off versus the black center stripe.

It is a little hard to see in this picture. but one can still make out the gold

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think the mixed color stripes are correct. I recall helping a friend re-stripe a silver body set some years ago and we scratched our heads over the stripe combo. Well, seems we've again solved a question no one asked!

Dave

dkcape

Post by dkcape »

At last,thank you for the info and pics.Here we do not buy the stripes,as they are sprayed on.The silver bikes i have seen have a more red colour and black stripe.Not the orange.
When did the rubber,with the clip[ on the front of the tank come out?As have seen a poster without them on.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't know about 'sprayed-on' stripes. Can't imagine ever doing that. Pinstripe tape or decals are the way Honda did it and the only way to go. If you are looking for pinstripe tape to match, tomato red from 3M is an exact match. The silver stripe scheme we just described is correct as Honda did it.

The rubber 'moles' seem to be just bumpers when removing/installing the tank, although hitting there never seems to be an issue. I usually put them on my restorations just to be correct, but they are essentially decorative.

The steel clips are still available from Honda over here, the rubbers no, but they are available from Six Center. No biggie either way, but they are correct for a 100 percent restoration.

Dave

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”