Upgraded Cam Holder Bolts for CBX and 4 cyl dohc

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Upgraded Cam Holder Bolts for CBX and 4 cyl dohc

Post by genesound »

Updated 12/20/2021 by genesound

Upgraded Cam Holder Bolt kits for 4 & 6 Cylinder 79-83 DOHC Hondas
    Grade 12.9 6 mm socket head bolt kits with washers for the cam holders (cam tower caps) are much stronger
    than the stock bolts. The stock Honda bolts like to break. The guys that have tried these on the DOHC I-4s and
    CBXs really like them. I did a rudimentary stress test, and they held over 14.5 ft lbs without any problem, and
    felt very firm. I recommend about 9 ft lbs on them, so as not to overburden the threads in the aluminum head.
    These require a 5mm Allen Head driver.
Prices:
  • 22 50mm and 2 60mm with 24 steel washers for the I-4 DOHC (11.4oz)- - - - - - $16US
    28 50mm and 4 65mm with 32 steel washers for the I-6 CBXs (15.5 oz) - - - - - - $21US
Shipping Info and Ordering:
  • Sorry, new higher rates from Post Office...

$10 Priority Mail to U.S. small flat rate box works best. If it fits, it ships, 70 lb weight limit.

$24 First class box to Canada (1 set of 24 bolts for I-4, a set of valve seals can be included at this rate)
    $24 First class box to Canada (1 set of 32 bolts for CBX, a set of valve seals can be included at this rate)

$27 First Class box to Australia, England, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, etc. (1 set of 24 bolts for 4 cyl DOHC, and a set of valve seals can be included at this rate)
    $27 First Class box to Australia, England, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, etc. (1 set of 32 bolts for 6 cyl CBX, and a set of valve seals can be included at this rate)

Email me for custom orders, and/or special shipping.

When ordering, please include your real name, your address, your username here at the forum, and the name of this forum. Also list exactly what it is you are ordering, for which model of bike(s) and how many. I carry parts for other kinds of bikes, so this is important. Send all that information with the PayPal funds in the additional information area or with whatever other method you use for payment.

All shipping is by US Mail/International Mail, all prices quoted are in US Dollars.

FYI:
    4 cylinder bolt set in the First Class shipping box weighs about 13.2 ounces or 375 grams
    6 cylinder bolt set in the First Class shipping box weighs about 17 ounces or 480 grams

Bolts and Valve stem seals can ship in the same package, so there's no extra shipping fee necessary in the U.S. when they're bought at the same time as the seals and shipping via priority flat rate box. Of course if you buy so much that it won't all fit in a small flat rate box, we'll have to discuss it.
Payment:
  • I prefer PayPal sent as "Friends and Family", but if you'd like, US customers can pay by USPS Postal Money Order and I'll ship right away. If you must send a personal check or any other type of money order (other than USPS), I'll take it if my bank will, but you will have to wait an additional week to 10 business days so it can clear before I'll be sending the seals.
PMs and other messages:
  • If you do send me a PM about your order, be sure to give me your real name in that PM, so I can more easily connect the dots.
Email:
Last edited by genesound on Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Upgraded Cam Holder Bolts for CBX and 4 cyl dohc

Post by genesound »

back
Last edited by genesound on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

I will be out of town from and unable to ship from Tuesday morning 11/25/14 until Monday morning 12/1/14.Image
  • Thank you,
    Gene

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

I'm back. Seals and bolts are available ;)

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

I'll be out of town for Christmas, so I won't be shipping from 12/21/14 through 12/28/14. Merry Christmas everybody.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

genesound wrote:I'll be out of town for Christmas, so I won't be shipping from 12/21/14 through 12/28/14. Merry Christmas everybody.

Thank you Gene, same to you!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

Just a note to let everyone know, the info in the 1st post is still current, and I have bolts (and Viton valve stem seals) in stock. ;-)

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

I'd like to order a set of cam cap bolts for my CBX and we do have Pay Pal. So, what should I do to make it happen?
Bruce Kastel (letxbruce)
bkbiker2017@outlook.com
501-416-0748

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sernd Gene an e-mail. The address is in the first post

genesound@usa.net

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Not to sound like I'm dissing anyone's thoughts about cam cap bolts. However, I would suggest that the significant concern for these bolts is the casting thread strength -- NOT the bolt strength. Torque spec is 9 - 12 lbs-ft as I recall. Stock bolts will take that. Some castings are near/at limit at 12. Problem is porosity in the castings. Be certain to do yourself a favor -- use a good torque wrench unless you have eons experience with 'feel' for those torque levels. AND, it is a dry thread torque.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

bump

genesound
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by genesound »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:02 am
Not to sound like I'm dissing anyone's thoughts about cam cap bolts. However, I would suggest that the significant concern for these bolts is the casting thread strength -- NOT the bolt strength. Torque spec is 9 - 12 lbs-ft as I recall. Stock bolts will take that. Some castings are near/at limit at 12. Problem is porosity in the castings. Be certain to do yourself a favor -- use a good torque wrench unless you have eons experience with 'feel' for those torque levels. AND, it is a dry thread torque.
Sorry for the late response, I just saw your post Larry.

This doesn't come from just thoughts, these bolts do break. And it is not that uncommon. In the 15 or so years I've been on these Honda DOHC internet fora, I've encountered very many people (dozens) that have had these bolts break on CBXs as well as the 750-1100 inline 4 motors. Seldom are the holes stripped, more often just the bolts break. If there is hole damage, it's usually caused by removal attempts of the broken off piece of bolt down in the hole. They don't really snap, they stretch and break, right about where the threads start.

I broke a couple of them about 30-something years ago using a SnapOn torque wrench set to 10.5 ft lbs. (middle of spec). Some years later (~1991), I had one that torqued OK when assembling, but during my first valve lash check, I bumped the bolt and heard it ding. It was broken off and rattling around. That broken piece was a real PITA to get out, I ended up TimeSerting that hole.

I went looking for replacement bolts other than the hyper expensive stock ones, but couldn't find them back then, pre public internet and all.
A few years ago, I found these grade 12.9 bolts that are much stronger than the stock ones, and they cost a fraction of what Honda sells theirs for.

I do recommend that they get torqued closer to 8-9 ft lb (bottom of the spec range) though, to save the aluminum. And while we're on that, I've seen much less porosity issues on head castings than on the cases, particularly the early case castings had issues. There were Service Bulletins about fixing oil leaks in the early CB750 DOHC motors caused by stress fissures.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

All the same, I'd stay close to the 10 limit. Might be bolt failure most of the time. However, I can tell you about casting porosity in the cylinder head. And, you won't see it until it happens.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Larry: Are you talking about casting porosity in the head or in the bolts? Just curious. The bolts are forged....

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

The head, Mike. Right, bolts are cold-headed and heat-treated. Word to the wise: Do NOT use any aftermarket zinc plated bolts. With zinc plated bolts you need to know the original supplier!!! Hydrogen embrittlement is always a possibility with zinc plated bolts. (Depends upon how they are processed.) Those can snap any time even after they have sat at proper torque for a long time.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”