Another CBX Dismantler

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Another CBX Dismantler

Post by EMS »

It seems we have another professional CBX dismantler in the U.S. competing for used parts business, this one out of CA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-CB ... ccessories

When I saw his first auctions on ebay a while ago, I thought it was just someone who parted out one bike. Now he is at least on No 4 or 5. Seeing some of the speedos with low miles and other great condition parts, I have a hard time believing that these bikes are all beyond being restored. Maybe there was nothing wrong with them to begin with. :?

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Another CBX Dismantler

Post by zxbob »

"and all the fins are in tack"

Bob :|
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Other than the speedo and carbs, his prices are very reasonable

Don

texas-ss-tornado

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

Doesn't make him any worse than the two outfits down in Florida and Georgia who have single handedly inflated CBX parts prices 10 fold in the last decade or so. This guy in California is peanuts compared to the other "vendors". I'm sure ya'll know who I'm talking about, but I'm not going to mention the names. Anybody whose ever had to pay a grand for used gas tank or 500 bucks for a seat, or 300 dollars for seat TRIM, or 400 bucks for an original set of blinkers.......etc.....etc.....etc.......knows who I'm referring to. The sad part is, the "average joe" has been priced out of the CBX market all together. All for the sake of the mighty dollar. Oh well, such is life in America. :evil:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

texas-ss-tornado wrote:Doesn't make him any worse than the two outfits down in Florida and Georgia who have single handedly inflated CBX parts prices 10 fold in the last decade or so. This guy in California is peanuts compared to the other "vendors". I'm sure ya'll know who I'm talking about, but I'm not going to mention the names. Anybody whose ever had to pay a grand for used gas tank or 500 bucks for a seat, or 300 dollars for seat TRIM, or 400 bucks for an original set of blinkers.......etc.....etc.....etc.......knows who I'm referring to. The sad part is, the "average joe" has been priced out of the CBX market all together. All for the sake of the mighty dollar. Oh well, such is life in America. :evil:
Deep breaths. In with the good air, out with the bad. Better? After a short while we learn that there are many sources for CBX parts, INCLUDING Tim's and Louis. All are valuable to us. If you need advice on sourcing parts, just ask.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

texas-ss-tornado

Well, as far as I'm concerned, people that pay those prices for parts are just feeding the sharks. I've got a 79 and 80 CBX now and I promise you, I will restore them to pristine condition without being gouged for my hard earned money. There is a huge difference between fair market value, and cornering the market and stealing each and every cent you can from the buying public. Reminds me of how eBay is getting, with their rediculous fees and double dipping with Paypal. I have already found plenty of good parts on eBay and Craigslist, you just have to beat the sharks to it. I also have time on my side, I don't "need" to have either one of them done in any set time frame, so I will do it at a pace that allows me to steer clear of the profiteers who have basically ruined the CBX market for all but the wealthiest people. It's really a shame, because it's only gotten that way because of greed, the American way. What's this I hear about Tim's going out of business? Maybe that is a sign that some people have finally wisened up and realized that the CBX, although a historic and iconic motorcycle, isn't made of 24K gold and parts shouldn't be priced like they are. There are PLENTY of other UJM's from that era that are just as cool and fun to restore, for a fraction of the cost. To each his own I guess, but I have spoken my peace and will not partipate in the insanity. I will find my parts without being bent over to get them. Rant over.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Texas:

"There are PLENTY of other UJM's from that era that are just as cool and fun to restore, for a fraction of the cost."

Kawasaki H1s and H2s are NOT on that list either!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What's a "UJM" :?: :?: :?

But on a serious note: I sort of sympathize with texas-ss. I have always felt rather hostile towards those who dismantle CBXes systematically for profit. I have no problem with the occasional parting out of a bike that can't be restored without great expense due to a catastrophic engine failure or similar mishap. But if good, solid bikes are being amassed and dissected for parts, I start having a problem.
The price (control) issue is only one thing. But it also keeps people away from trying to save a bike. Where do you draw a line? I bought a "rolling chassis" 80 Marysville bike for $1,200.- All the bike needs is carbs, instruments and bodywork. I have all that stuff and it will be fun to bring the bike back. A "dismantler" would have parted it out. Probably would not know what else to do with it anyway, because sometimes they just lack the skills of restoring anything. I am sure that many $2,000 to $3,000 bikes have ended up in pieces.
Newcomers to the CBX have no other way than turning to the known sources and they just pay too much for a decent resto. Those of us who have been in the hobby for a long time have other ways to get parts. We exchange them among ourselves or sell stuff on a non-commercial base for lower prices without advertising the availability. Once you have been a member of the "community", an ICOA member or not, you will learn who to ask for help with advice AND parts.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Yes, Texas, I know it can seem frustrating, but as Mike points out, there is a 'secondary' parts market, and quite often if you post with your needs, folks will pipe up with spares from their personal stashes, or with sources they have found, or alternatives. I will also say, and this is not meant to tweak you at all, but you will find that you may be more likely to receive offers of help or parts from folks' stashes if you are a contributing member of the community. Write up a how-to with pictures, write an article, chime in and help another, whatever you can do. A little goes a long way.

A bunch of people contributed to the post at the top of this forum with sources too, this is pretty recent and up to date:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6370

Finally, I don't intend to 'defend' Tim's or Louis my opinion about them is pretty well established, and I have bought a bunch of stuff from both of them and although some special items were a little pricey, many were not. Both of them have also been generous with free parts and stuff, and both of them have been supportive of the club and the entire CBX community over the years. I have on my bench a set of footpegs that Louis gave me for the purpose of making a tool for the club. I don't begrudge them making a profit, and as another small business owner, I know first hand that doing that is is not as easy as it seems to some folks.

By all means, vote with your feet as the saying goes.

N.
Nils Menten

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:What's a "UJM" :?: :?: :?
I'm guessing Unique Japanese Motorcycle??

$400 for a good looking set of blinkers is about the going rate, no matter where you find them - Infortunately, '79 and '80 X's were the only Hondas that use that particular part and the black plastic housings only stay good looking if you keep them away from the sun. I've seen 3 or 4 sets of NOS blinkers sell for upwards of $900!!

If You're not a stickler for authenticity, you can install very similar looking chrome sets which take the same lenses and look better anyway (IMO) for much, much less because those housings were used on several other bikes, so they are much more common and therefore much cheaper

As Nils advised, make your needs known here and there *are* several folks here who will dig into their personal stashes for very reasonable prices (many times even for nothing) to help you find the parts you need - About all any of them are asking is that the parts go on your personal bike . . . . not something you're fixing up for resale

Don

texas-ss-tornado

I hear what everyone is saying, and thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm still waiting to get the carbs back for my 79, then will start work on my Japanese built 80 model. I know I will be needing some things, but have been scouring Craigslist and eBay buying things at reasonable prices, simply because I am in no hurry and have the luxury of time on my side. These are my first CBX's, I've spent the last 6 or 7 years restoring mostly Honda V65 Magnas, Kawasaki ZL900 and ZL1000 Eliminators,and Yamaha VMAX's. I've always been a muscle bike fanatic, and the CBX has always been on my listed of desired bikes, these two just happened to fall into my lap at very fair prices, and I couldn't pass them up. I also have an 85 Suzuki GS1150E and an 82 Honda CX500 Turbo, and just recently picked up an 87 Honda Super Magna, so I guess you could say I am just OLD SCHOOL. By the way, the definition of UJM is as follows:

Universal Japanese Motorcycle, or UJM, is a loose term for a Japanese standard motorcycle type admired for their simplicity, quality, and versatility, made mainly from the late 1960s and through the late 1970s, and somewhat less so since. The nadir of standard motorcycles in the 1990s fueled a nostalgia for UJM style machines, and led to the reintroduction of new models on similar lines, from both Japan and other countries, sometimes going by new names like naked bike or muscle bike.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

texas-ss-tornado wrote:I hear what everyone is saying, and thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm still waiting to get the carbs back for my 79, then will start work on my Japanese built 80 model. I know I will be needing some things, but have been scouring Craigslist and eBay buying things at reasonable prices, simply because I am in no hurry and have the luxury of time on my side. These are my first CBX's, I've spent the last 6 or 7 years restoring mostly Honda V65 Magnas, Kawasaki ZL900 and ZL1000 Eliminators,and Yamaha VMAX's. I've always been a muscle bike fanatic, and the CBX has always been on my listed of desired bikes, these two just happened to fall into my lap at very fair prices, and I couldn't pass them up. I also have an 85 Suzuki GS1150E and an 82 Honda CX500 Turbo, and just recently picked up an 87 Honda Super Magna, so I guess you could say I am just OLD SCHOOL. By the way, the definition of UJM is as follows:

Universal Japanese Motorcycle, or UJM, is a loose term for a Japanese standard motorcycle type admired for their simplicity, quality, and versatility, made mainly from the late 1960s and through the late 1970s, and somewhat less so since. The nadir of standard motorcycles in the 1990s fueled a nostalgia for UJM style machines, and led to the reintroduction of new models on similar lines, from both Japan and other countries, sometimes going by new names like naked bike or muscle bike.
Amen. And apropos of nothing but the magnificent CBX, you should know that the Japan-built '80 is not only the rarest of the breed, but also the best and most desirable ;-).

N., Japanese-built '80 :-)
Nils Menten

texas-ss-tornado

Also, the old gent that sold me the 80 CBX said it had a Windjammer IV, Vindicator II fairing on it. He took it off about 5 years ago, that's why the headlight mount looks a little weird. When going through the documentation he gave me for the bike, I found the original paperwork and installation instructions for this Windjammer, specifically made for this bike apparently, and dated 1979. Is this fairing of any value? Does anyone have a CBX with this same fairing on it? If so, any pics? He offered it to me, but it wasn't at the house where I got the bike, he had put it into storage when he took it off. Now, I don't have any idea what this fairing looks like, but is it even worth pursuing? He basically said I could have it if I wanted it, just don't know if it would add or detract any value from the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and here are some pics of the bike, don't think I posted them all in the previous thread.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236 ... =slideshow

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

texas-ss-tornado wrote:Also, the old gent that sold me the 80 CBX said it had a Windjammer IV, Vindicator II fairing on it. He took it off about 5 years ago, that's why the headlight mount looks a little weird. When going through the documentation he gave me for the bike, I found the original paperwork and installation instructions for this Windjammer, specifically made for this bike apparently, and dated 1979. Is this fairing of any value? Does anyone have a CBX with this same fairing on it? If so, any pics? He offered it to me, but it wasn't at the house where I got the bike, he had put it into storage when he took it off. Now, I don't have any idea what this fairing looks like, but is it even worth pursuing? He basically said I could have it if I wanted it, just don't know if it would add or detract any value from the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and here are some pics of the bike, don't think I posted them all in the previous thread.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236 ... =slideshow

I had a Windjammer fairing on my 80 CBX. IMO you don't want one. It's like putting loaded saddlebags on a racehorse. I couldn't believe the difference in the bike when I removed the Windjammer. If I recall it weighed 25#!!
This isn't my bike just a picture I found with Google. I have some pictures but they aren't digital.

http://www.cbxworld.com/albums/album171/Windjammer.jpg

Moderator edit: Changed img to url tag to display link
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Windjammers are definitely period parts. On a bike that plays a walk-on part in a movie taking place in the 70s or 80s it would look great :D :D Unfortunately the value of an original dealer-option Windjammer for a specific bike is about $50.-, a little less for a generic one. :roll: High shipping costs prevent the interest in and the sale of them right now. But, maybe, sometime down the road, after most of them have been trashed, they will become sought after. That's what I hope and I keep hanging on to the one I took off the KZ1300 I bought. :wink: It has the Kawasaki name on it and was painted the original KZ1300 A3 and A4 color. :mrgreen:

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”