Vendor NOT to TRUST

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Vendor NOT to TRUST

Post by HondaJohn »

MODERATOR EDIT: I removed the duplicate posting and moved this post to the 'Vendors' forum for future reference.

Letter to Editor of several magazines:
Having been in the motorcycle community since 1956, you can say that I have been around for more than awhile and longer than I like to admit. This qualifies me to provide you with some info that should be published for your subscribers, which I am one. Please do all your readers a favor and publish this information that could save them lots of money and pain.

Recently, I ordered a set of Continental GO tires, mail order from Chaparral Motor Sports in San Bernardino, California. Upon paying for installation at a local independent shop, they found that the front one was “out of round”. I confirmed this when I rode it home. When I contacted Chaparral, they said I would have to return the tire for them to send to Continental for evaluation. This would have to be done before they would issue me either a refund or send me another tire. This would force me to shell out another $100 and then wait for the evaluation result on the defective tire, before I could receive a refund. Also, I would get soaked for paying for another installation for the second tire. And, to top this off, I had to pay for the return of the defective tire at an outrageous cost of $24.60!! Chaparral WOULD NOT ISSUE A CALL TAG FOR PICK UP!!

You would think that Chaparral would be responsible for these additional charges like the second installation of the tire and the return postage for the defective tire, but they WOULD NOT reimburse for these additional charges. So, when you order a tire mail order, you are at the mercy of the dealer if you get a defective tire. I will be out over $50 extra because the first front tire they sent me was defective!! Is this fair – not in any way is this right, fair or good business practice. What can I do about it? Not much. I contacted the California Consumer Protection and they are looking into it but really have no authority to make the dealer pay the extra money that I am soaked for. I also made a Better Business Bureau complaint .but they can’t do anything either. I wrote a letter to the owner of Chaparral, Dave Damron, and he is avoiding me like the plague and will NOT return any communications via phone or mail.

I returned the tire Nov 16th and they received it Nov 23rd but I have not heard anything and do not have any type of refund to date (Dec 8th). This is one of your advertisers so I know you will probably not print this letter but you SHOULD PRINT this letter for your readers, even if you strip the name of the company. I would think that any dealer that would “stiff” a customer like this could be held accountable if there was public acknowledgement of his lack of ethics. As a subscriber of your magazine, I enlist your assistance in bringing this type of problem to the attention of all motorcyclists who read your publications. Maybe you can do what is right and support the average motorcycle enthusiast, your readers and put pressure on dishonest dealers like Chaparral.
79, 80, 81, 82 CBX's, 87 Hurr 1000F, 83CB1100F, 87 VFR700, 01 Blackbird
40 yrs of Hondas and still baffled....

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Vendor NOT to TRUST

Post by daves79x »

John and All:
This is exactly I've stopped using mail-order for tires and lots of other things. In my case, my local Honda dealer and another independent repair shop near me will order me tires in at a pretty reasonable price and mount and balance them for no more than $15. I can usually get any tire for a price no more than half-way between the cheapest mail-order and full retail, and they are more than happy to mount it for a reasonable price. And if there are any problems, they take care of it. I can get any tire I need in two or three days.

You are supporting your local businesses and getting good service. I know some of you say you have local dealers that just rip you off, etc, etc and that may be true in some cases. But if you can establish a relationship with the parts and service guys and actually buy some of your parts there, you may find soon you can get a good discount on parts and things like tires. May not work in the 'big city' as well as out here in the sticks, but I'll bet many more dealers will be willing to do the above than you know.

What is the aggravation that John is going through worth to any of us?

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I gotta agree with Dave here. I always try to buy locally, even if I must pay a bit more. Fortunately, there's a dealer near here who treats me well. I've been dealing with them since the late sixties.

And, one of the large internet retailers is near here, and has a service side as well. I can buy tires there and have them mounted while I wait. Oddly enough, they have folks walk in with tires purchased on-line (not from them), and expect free mounting/service.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I totally second Dave's remarks on this.
I have not ordered mail-order tires in a long time. The on-first-glance savings rarely actually materialize when you count all the trouble you have to go through. I used to buy tires at Shade Tree at their retail outlet, which is 75 miles away and lately have changed from that to a local independent guy who is only marginally more expensive. Considering that Shade Tree is 40 miles away from me, it is almost a wash and I get personal service and have established a great relationship for other generic parts I need. 8)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Words of wisdom from 3 guys who have way more than 100 years of motorcycle experience . . . . between them, that is ;)

Don

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

"Chaparral WOULD NOT ISSUE A CALL TAG FOR PICK UP!!"

Parts Unlimited does the same crap to their DEALERS. At least I can call my Rep and have him make it right. But that's still a sorry way to do business. The order folks just can't seem to understand why we dealers shouldn't be glad to foot the bill to return defective merchandise and sometimes they insist that we DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THEIR SUPPLIERS TO GET REPLACEMENTS, REFUNDS, ETC. Pure nonsense.

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by HondaJohn »

I agree with using local dealers but when I compared tire prices, there was a $30 difference in each tire vs mail order. In our small community there is limited independent dealers that will work on older bikes. The local Honda shyster does not work on any bike over 20 yrs old. So, the independents know that they can take advantage of those who have a collection of older motorbikes. It is a dilemma and I need to look around for another small independent that may give me a price break.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

"Local Dealers." I used to own and operate an Independent Motorcycle parts and accessory store., I did this for 12 years.

It is amassing, customers would come in and and ask lots of questions, take all your time, try on your helmets for size, ask you to call and clarrify aspects of a product, then go and purchase it over the phone or on line. Often, when having a problem with an online purchase they'd ask me or my parts person to contact the product manufacturer for help?

I buy locally if I can. Today I picked up a replacement battery for my 2007 R1. This battery cost me nothing. It replaces a battery the dealer sold me in March.
That was an original Yamaha relacement battery I purchased in March that went bad two week ago. The local dealer contacted Yamaha, they replaced the battery at no charge, no shipping charge, no handling charge no proration charge. I try to visit them often, order things that I need routinely and they give me a 10% discount on anything I order. I've never purchased a bike from them but try to let them know I appreciate them and the fact that they are there.

I do the same thing with the local Honda dealer, but as we know, very few of the CBX items are still available from Honda.

I've had a taste of both sides and some bad experiences with both. But, the local dealer or parts store is a place where I can go and sit and talk to the people in person and express my unhappiness if I feel I was not treated properly.

Dealing with mail order, over the phone or thru the computer can be very inconvient and often more aggrevation than it is worth in the inital saving that end up costing you more in the long run.

Support your local business and he or she will support you in a time of need.

The speed and efficentcy of mailorder often costs more when its all said and done.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I like to buy local and i like to buy Canadian BUT my local Honda dealer, who i have dealt with for 35 years, wanted $191.00 for a BT45 and $40.00 to install it.
On-line from www.petes-superbike.com in Montreal had it at my door in two days for $102.00.
A small shop 30 miles away with the same terrible tire pricing mounted it for $15.00.
One last shocker, went to the local Harley shop/boutique with bare rim and new tire in hand and they wanted $76.00 to mount the tire...and it would be ready in 4 days.

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: One last shocker, went to the local Harley shop/boutique with bare rim and new tire in hand and they wanted $76.00 to mount the tire...and it would be ready in 4 days.

:no

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Four days??? Bring it to us and four MINUTES would be way closer to reality. :)

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

On the other hand....I do all my own mounting and balancing with an inexpensive Harbor Freight tire changer and a truing/balancing stand. I've bought 5 pairs of tires online from American Motorcycle Tire in Arizona and received them very quickly and for a very reasonable price. No tire problems to date and I'll continue to buy from them. I approve of those that like to support local shops but in the end it's my ass on the bike and I want to ensure the work is done with utmost care and I enjoy saving some serious money at the same time.

Eric

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by HondaJohn »

I will look into that tire changer. Thanks for the lead.

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

If you don't buy from your local dealer then one of these days, you won't have a local dealer to buy from.

Norton1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Norton1 »

I have to agree with the last statement. Sometimes I just bite the bullet and pay a bit extra. Besides I can go visit these guys and get a lot of free advice. That's worth more than the unknown voice on the phone and the mistakes that I pay for when someone on the other end, or maybe me too, makes a mistake.

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”