New and Improved Cam Chain Tensioners

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New and Improved Cam Chain Tensioners

Post by CBX-tras »

As of June 1st, 2021, I have relinquished my distributorship of these components in the America's.

Contact Brent Hyde directly if interested in purchasing.

Although I'm no longer sell them, this is worthwhile information to leave in place.

J.R.
________________________________________________________________________________________

This is sort of a long read but, worthwhile to understand the history and development:

CBX Cam Chain Tensioners and Guide
Background: Over the last 10 years, Vince and Hyde Racing (V&H Racing) have been developing and producing a very robust and effective cam chain tensioner system for the twin-cam four-cylinder engines manufactured by Honda between 1978 and 1983. With well over 850 installations around the world, and using the system in competition, track and street bikes, the V&H Racing products surpass the OEM Honda parts in every respect. They are now considered the gold-standard for these engines. During this time, we have also received countless requests from CBX owners to develop similar products for the Honda CBX six-cylinder engine produced between 1978 and 1982. So, using everything we have learned from our efforts on the four-cylinder engines, we have now responded to those requests by developing similar products specifically designed for Honda CBX. For many years now, the OEM Honda cam chain tensioners have been no longer available (NLA) from Honda. The lack of replacement parts is now a major problem for all CBX owners when engine work is needed. Also, as we discovered in the four-cylinder engines, the CBX has similar design flaws in the OEM components that reduces the service life of all cam chain components.

The V&H Racing products have been designed and engineered specifically for the CBX using modern materials. These products eliminate all cam chain related issues, improve both performance and durability, and are superior in every way over the OEM components they replace.
Who is Vince & Hyde Racing? We are a small private race team from New Zealand who have been successfully developing and racing the double overhead cam Honda fours and CBX sixes manufactured between 1978 and 1983. We have been regular competitors in classic motorcycle racing events in New Zealand, Australia and Europe since 1980.

The benefits of installing V&H Racing CBX cam chain components include:
a) Ready availability of new parts
b) Improved durability and serviceability
c) Extended service intervals
d) modern design principles
New replacement OEM cam chain tensioner parts for the CBX are becoming almost impossible to find, causing many owners to think they have no option but to install second-hand parts into their engines - often these are parts that are ‘only just good enough’. It is also important to remember any new OEM parts that may be available for the CBX were actually manufactured many decades ago and so those too only have limited service life left due to degradation of materials. In addition, reconditioned components do not offer any improvement to durability, performance and the stability of the cam chain over the OEM design. The V&H Racing CBX cam chain components are 100% machined from modern billet stock and are now available for purchase.

The OEM Honda CBX cam chain tensioners are a poor design because they do not properly control the harmonics in, or provide adequate support of, the cam chain, even at low rpms. The V&H Racing products have been specifically designed for the CBX to eliminate these events. This increases durability and service life of the cam chains, tensioners and guides. If inspection is desired for any reason, an added feature of the V&H Racing CBX AHM Tensioner is that it can be easily removed and reinstalled without requiring removal of the cylinder head and cam shafts. The OEM Honda parts cannot be removed without removal of the camshafts and cylinder head. The carefully developed and superior design features of V&H Racing components, combined with use of modern materials and metal components, all 100% machined from billet stock, means the V&H Racing products are better in every respect than the OEM parts they replace.
Extended Service Intervals When cam chain adjustment is performed correctly during installation as per the instructions provided, the CBX AHM Tensioner, the V&H Racing Curved Guide and the cam chains are no longer subject to the high stresses and loads induced by the poor design of the OEM Honda parts. The improved design and the use of high-quality billet materials by V&H Racing greatly extends the time between cam chain adjustments.
Many customers tell us that when they do a second cam chain tension check at around 1,000 miles after installation, they only need to make a very minor adjustment. Others have even reported no adjustment at all is needed and have run the engines for tens of thousands of miles / kilometers with no further adjustment needed and the cam chains remain quiet in operation. The V&H Racing cam chain tensioner components are simply the very best products available for any double-overhead cam six or four cylinder Honda engine (’78 - ‘83). So you are assured of greatly improved durability and service life, regardless of how you use your bike – street only, a mix of street and track days, or all out competition.

The V&H Racing CBX cam chain employs components now universally used in modern higher revving motorcycle engines. The design of these components provides total control of both the longitudinal and lateral movements of the cam chain on the loaded path. This totally eliminates any damaging chain harmonics and vibration from the entire operating rpm range – something not possible with the OEM parts. This has the added benefit of reducing the load and stress on the chain, thereby increasing durability and cam chain component life. The V&H Racing CBX AHM tensioner utilizes a leading shoe principle. This reduces any applied load to the tensioner, is self-guiding and also reduces load on the adjuster bolt.

The OEM Honda tensioners are typically made up of many separate parts that are pressed and riveted together (spring, flexible blade, and stamped metal components.) However, the V&H Racing parts are 100% machined from solid billet materials that are far stronger and superior in every way to the OEM Honda parts they replace and provide total control of the cam chain during operation. Notice the following important differences: a) On the curved front guide, the curvature of the guide means the chain is always being loaded into the guide (ie; being pulled into the guide.) This means there is always much more surface area in contact with the back of the cam chain on the loaded side when compared to OEM. This eliminates any destructive chain harmonics and vibration that would otherwise naturally occur. b) The V&H Racing curved front guide and AHM tensioner encapsulates the cam chain on three sides, eliminating any possible lateral movement of the chain. These two design features work together to remove any destructive vibration and stress from the chain on both the loaded (front) and unloaded (back) tensioner side of the chain. This provides better control and reduces damaging cam chain oscillation.

At the date of this posting, quantities are limited as production is ramping up.

Pricing:
“A” Cam Chain Tensioner and Guide (must be used together) $490 USD – per pair
“B” Cam Chain Tensioner - $295 USD
Shipping - $8.00 USD for one or both within the contiguous US.

Interested parties in Australia, Japan, Oceania/Asia - Contact Roland Skate here:

rolandskate666 [at] gmail [dot] com

Folks in the USA, Canada and South America - Contact me here:

jrluksik51 [at] gmail [dot] com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CBX-tras on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New and Improved Cam Chain Tensioners

Post by CBX-tras »

Another benefit that can be utilized is that the "B" tensioner has been machined in such a way that oil can be fed externally into the "snout" of the head to aid in oiling, introducing oil to the exhaust sprocket and thus oiling the entire "B" chain, sprockets and mechanism.

Other modifications are required to accomplish this.

In the photos below, this is one way to do it, there are others. This particular head had the "snout" damaged when I got it. I elected to machine a 1/2" fine thread bolt (as an adapter) and through drill it to accept a banjo bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the info, J.R.
Also thank you for taking on being the North American connection.
Certainly read great things on the 1100F site about the 4 cylinder version.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent J.R.! A long-needed replacement for these engines. Expensive, but cheaper than the few NOS ones that are still around.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am a little confused on how these work to compensate for increasing chain slack like the OEM part do through spring loaded bending.
I see the picture of the B tensioner and it looks like a solid block. Can someone elaborate?

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

As stated previously:

".....The design of these components provides total control of both the longitudinal and lateral movements of the cam chain on the loaded path. This totally eliminates any damaging chain harmonics and vibration from the entire operating rpm range – something not possible with the OEM parts. This has the added benefit of reducing the load and stress on the chain, thereby increasing durability and cam chain component life. The V&H Racing CBX AHM tensioner utilizes a leading shoe principle. This reduces any applied load to the tensioner, is self-guiding and also reduces load on the adjuster bolt."

No slop, no slack. Just accurate chain timing and delivery to drive the cams.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Mike, I think you are correct. The new part doesn't compensate for wear, but, to it's credit, neither does it put unnecessary tension on the return run.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I, too am a bit confused about adjustment. I see that the long tensioner looks to have a manual adjustment, as sort of referred to in the description, but the photos do not show the front of the top tensioner rod. I assume it protrudes through the front of the housing where the rubber plug goes and that the rod adjusts somehow in and out to squeeze or relax the rubber part to tighten or loosen the chain. Maybe an update on this specifically? Not doubting this is a revolutionary product for our CBX engines finally, and long-needed, just trying to understand more how they work.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If I look at the picture of the chain tensioner between the two cams, it seems it is bolted to the head solid. There is no axial movement, thus no adjustment or compensation for possible slack - which will occur after time. Even more so, as the chain will wear into the plastic. I can read the description and it does not explain the method of compensation. Comparing it to a "leading brake shoe" design confuses me even more. The brake shoe wears and conforms to the inner drum surface by moving.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

If and when the "B" chain requires adjustment, it is achieved by shimming under the rear attachment bolt. These are usually "plug and play" needing no adjustment. The stock "tensioner adjusting bolt" is eliminated and replaced by a short 8mm bolt (supplied) to seal from leaking.
The stock sealing plug at the front , is still required if you're NOT utilizing optional external oiling.
These procedures are fully outlined in the supplied instruction sheet.

Unlike the DOHC 4 cylinder version which required machining of the head (due to head design) the CBX is a much simpler installation, IMO, having done many of both.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

daves79x wrote:I, too am a bit confused about adjustment. I see that the long tensioner looks to have a manual adjustment, as sort of referred to in the description, but the photos do not show the front of the top tensioner rod. I assume it protrudes through the front of the housing where the rubber plug goes and that the rod adjusts somehow in and out to squeeze or relax the rubber part to tighten or loosen the chain. Maybe an update on this specifically? Not doubting this is a revolutionary product for our CBX engines finally, and long-needed, just trying to understand more how they work.

Dave
Dave, the adjuster is made from a hard plastic material that allows the chain to slide on it easily while showing no sign of wear after thousands of miles of normal use and racing. This material has been proven it's worth by the Vince & Hyde racing team for almost a decade now.
It can't squeeze or relax. The rod in the front is now just a pivot point. Once the tensioner is installed per instructions, you're done.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Thanks, JR. You've explained that the adjustment for the top chain is achieved by shimming the adjuster mount. That's what we were asking, I think.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I must be missing something here. It appears the intake cam must be removed to add a shim under the mount. What am I not seeing?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Rick Pope wrote:I must be missing something here. It appears the intake cam must be removed to add a shim under the mount. What am I not seeing?
Rick, As I said previously, once installed correctly (possible but unlikely shimming) per instructions, these tensioners show no sign of wear after thousands of miles.

Vince & Hyde Racing have perfected their design and proven it in thousands of DOHC 4's.
With the help of other CBX folks here and abroad Brent Hyde has addressed the CBX tensioner problem and brings these components to market. And he doesn't offer anything for sale until he knows that it's flawless.
Trust me when I tell you, we've got this thing nailed.
Every CBX (and DOHC 4) motor that I build from now on will have these in it. In fact, I delayed my latest CBX build waiting and working with Brent to complete his mission.

It's like when EFI came out for cars, not too many people understood it. I had a buddy that make tons of money taking it off of Corvettes and installing carburetors.
Today, every hot car has some sort of EFI and everyone "gets" it.

So, it's been proven with the DOHC 4 crowd and it's like second nature to get V&H guides when you're building one of those. Soon enough, the CBX community will be doing the same.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

J.R.: it is not the chain adjuster that should be worried about for wear, it is the cam chain, which stretches. That's why Honda put in an adjuster. So, if the cam chain has slack due to stretch, adjustment is necessary. I assume that's when Rick's question becomes viable. Does the cam have to be removed?

I am not sure about your analogy with FI. there were quite a few people who understood the concept from the beginning. I do not like to be thrown in the same basket as the "flathead-pushroad-V8" guys in their clown cars who do not even now what DOHC stands for. I think on this forum here, everybody accepts the fact that the tensioners in the CBX (or other DOHC Hondas) could be improved upon and is eager to get good replacements. Once all functional mechanical uncertainties have been explained properly. It is not good enough to refer to the experience of a demi-god of racing half around the world and leave it at that. My 2 cents.

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”