Side covers and chain guard buyer beware from david silver

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

Mark Bakula
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Side covers and chain guard buyer beware from david silver

Post by Mark Bakula »

Over two years ago I started a complete restoration of my 1979 CBX. I ordered both side covers and a chain guard form David Sivers in England in Nov 2017. I did not look at the parts for 13 months and then discovered that the side covers had plastic mold flow defects and were listed as "Matt" finish. All 3 parts came to me with a high gloss finish. I email them and was told:
"Good morning,
Thank you for your email.
Apologies regarding the finish on the side covers that you have received, however our products are guaranteed for 6 months and we do ask that any issues with our products are reported within 48 hours of receiving the product as per our terms and conditions.
Due to it being a year since these were purchased our suppliers will not accept these back on a warranty claim so we are unable to take them back.
As a good will gesture we will offer another pair at trade price.
However In the future please make sure all products are checked upon receipt.
Regarding the colour of these parts, they are finished to a high quality and as shown on the website."

I was very late inspecting the parts and will accept the blame for that, BUT the description clearly states that the side covers are Matt. I will now try to sand the covers to match the same finish that came on the original side covers. Just want others to know what they are buying. BTW they never changed their website and it still says Matt finish.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Side covers and chain guard buyer beware from david silv

Post by EMS »

I am not sure how much of a "stickler for original" you are, but some 79 owners actually have their sidecovers painted and in 1980, some black bikes had gloss sidecovers that have found their way on 1979 bikes. I would see nothing wrong with a 79 CBX with gloss black sidecovers. They actually look nicer to me than the matte finish ones. 8)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just a side-bar on this: Similar experience with a purchase totally unrelated to motorcycles and David Silver. SO, now open anything and everything as soon as received. ESPECIALLY if there is any outside damage to the shipping container/box. Photo, too.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

In defense of David Silver, I ordered a few small things a while ago, gaskets, air filter. etc. When the box arrived, one gasket was missing and another was torn (shipping box was not damaged). I emailed them shortly after and they promptly supplied 2 new correct gaskets, no charges. As was noted, the length of time involved with this original problem WAS the problem.

Dave

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”