Ikon Shocks USA - DISCOUNTS FOR ICOA!

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ikon Shocks USA - DISCOUNTS FOR ICOA!

Post by NobleHops »

UPDATE

It is my pleasure to offer all of my friends in CBX land a 10% discount on any and all Ikon suspension products on our website at http://www.ikonshocksusa.com

Use discount code ICOA at checkout, and the 10% discount will be applied to all the products on your order.

UPS kicked in a pretty nice discount on their rates for us too, so shipping has been very reasonable for a pair of shocks, on the order of $15, and of course there is no tax applied to internet commerce.

Hello to all my friends in CBX land!

Very excited to more formally share this news - After several months of preparation and planning, and a few weeks (and weekends!) of midnight oil dusting off my old website chops, RestoCycle launched this last night:

http://www.ikonshocksusa.com

A bit of background: A very nice fellow named Dave Gardner handled most of the west coast sales for Ikon Shocks out of his shop in San Francisco for many years, but Dave has retired, and we have taken on dealership for Ikon in his place. I caught wind of the opportunity to take it up a few months ago, and a big pallet of shocks, parts, and factory tools arrived a month or so later, and here we are, and very excited about it.

Ikon was created when Koni BV withdrew from the motorcycle suspension business about 15 years ago, and the current Ikon 7610 is a direct descendent of the legendary Koni shock. In fact, we can repair many of those Koni shocks using modern Ikon parts and seals - they are direct descendents in design, style and construction. I've used Ikon on my bikes, and they really provide a great combination of performance, vintage style, and value, and come in many styles and trim combinations to pretty closely resemble many of the stock shocks we use on our vintage bikes.

If by chance you'll be at the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, California next week, by all means please stop by the Ikon booth and say hello. I'm the big doofy guy with the RestoCycle/Ikon shirt :-).

With sincere thanks for your support,

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC & Ikon Shocks USA
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ikon Shocks USA - DISCOUNTS FOR ICOA!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congratulations, Nils.
Seeing as your riding time will be curtailed even further, i would be glad to store a couple of your bikes and OCCASIONALLY warm up the engine oil.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You're a good man Steve. Just give me a day to prep one of our guest rooms!
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Ikon Shocks USA is now live!

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Congrats Nils, its great to see good peoples doing well, especially when they're friends of the motorcycle community.

Hey, while you're not doing anything how about adding a thumbs up emoji to this place?

jb

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Congrats Nils, its great to see good peoples doing well, especially when they're friends of the motorcycle community.

Hey, while you're not doing anything how about adding a thumbs up emoji to this place?

jb
Sure thing Jeff! :thumbsup:
Nils Menten

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

way to go, Nils.
That is so cool.

Wish I knew you were here this weekend, I have skippied th LB show for a few years.
This year would have been good to go and see your new line.

Barry

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rats Barry, I should have pinged you, it's always a pleasure!
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Here's a fun update on the new venture:

Mr Ikon himself came through Tucson and spent a couple of days with me in the shop, training me on rebuilding of Ikon and Koni shocks. I also had laid in a pretty substantial supply of factory rebuild parts, springs, seals, orings, and other odds and ends that are sometimes needed to put these back to perfect working order.

Along the way it was pretty clearly demonstrated that the modern day Ikon is in fact a direct descendant of the classic Koni 7610, as that's what we rebuilt - everything fits perfectly. Forgive me as I mix and match two sets of shocks in the following photos, but one set that we did were cool old aluminum bodied shocks that I pulled off of one of my project CBXs. Apparently these were unique to the Hondas that they fit, and part of what is so cool about these is that they are aluminum bodied, and so I can refinish them with the vapor blaster. These shocks were more typically sold with chrome steel bodies as seen on the BMW set.

So here's what you need to know: If you have a pair of these cool old Koni shocks on your CBX or in your stash, I can rebuild them, for $125 per shock, including basic parts and oil. I can also fit new springs. And if I cannot rebuild them because the shaft has nicks or failed plating or its clip is broken or worn or damaged beyond further service, I'll take the old shocks in trade and give you a credit of $75 to the purchase of a replacement set of Ikon.

Details: https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/pages/iko ... ck-service

Photos:

This was a pair of Koni 7610 shocks from an R75/5.

...and this pair is from one of my project CBXs. Note the aluminum bodies and the clevis.

These were completely disassembled and cleaned, reassembled with new seals, orings, bushings, oil and bump stops. Proper damping action and adjustment was restored and the bodies and springs cleaned up. We have a decent selection of shock springs in stock as well, and so these can be resprung at rebuild time as needed. Costs about $125 per shock including labor, seals, orings and oil. Additional parts are extra as needed. Turnaround time about a week in shop, or faster if you need it.

Disassembly and inspection:

New seals, orings:

This set needed new bump stops:

Reassembly:

Shock top eye and spring seats were professionally vapor blasted:

And done. The BMW shocks:

...and the CBX shocks:

Naturally we vapor blasted the bodies, shock eye, and spring cup and clip:

Kinda cool, eh? Dig into your stash fellas, let's get these things freshened up! Please be in touch if we can be of service.

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/pages/iko ... ck-service

Best,

Nils
Nils Menten

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Fantastic!

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I'm one of those guys, I have a set of those laying around in a box somewhere, I changed them out for a set of CB1100 shocks yrs ago.

Nice Nils!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

UPDATE

It is my pleasure to offer all of my friends in CBX land a 10% discount on any and all Ikon suspension products on our website at http://www.ikonshocksusa.com

Use discount code ICOA at checkout, and the 10% discount will be applied to all the products on your order.

UPS kicked in a pretty nice discount on their rates for us too, so shipping has been very reasonable for a pair of shocks, on the order of $15, and of course there is no tax applied to internet commerce.
Nils Menten

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Want2ride »

:twocents-02cents:
I want publicly thank Nils for his Ikon offer and the support he is giving to the CBX Community.

Recently we were travelling thru Tucson, AZ and had a chance to stop in to his shop. Without calling ahead (bad manners on my part but my good fortune to find him hard at work) he gave me a tour of his facility and answered all my questions very graciously. I was impressed with the tidy and well equipped operation, great in-progress bikes and the finished restorations he had.

We talked about shocks for my 1979 and he put together a nicely matched shock setup for my bike (mixing springs and shock body to give me the proper spring rate in chrome that I wanted). On top of that he gave me a great deal to boot.

All in all, it was very enjoyable to finally meet the man and have a great motorcycle related experience. If you are in the area (or not) give the guy a call.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Want2ride wrote::twocents-02cents:
I want publicly thank Nils for his Ikon offer and the support he is giving to the CBX Community.

Recently we were travelling thru Tucson, AZ and had a chance to stop in to his shop. Without calling ahead (bad manners on my part but my good fortune to find him hard at work) he gave me a tour of his facility and answered all my questions very graciously. I was impressed with the tidy and well equipped operation, great in-progress bikes and the finished restorations he had.

We talked about shocks for my 1979 and he put together a nicely matched shock setup for my bike (mixing springs and shock body to give me the proper spring rate in chrome that I wanted). On top of that he gave me a great deal to boot.

All in all, it was very enjoyable to finally meet the man and have a great motorcycle related experience. If you are in the area (or not) give the guy a call.
Ok, that's TWICE you made my day. Was a pleasure to meet you and many thanks for the visit AND the business.

Best,

Nils
Nils Menten

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”