Close call on Highway.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Close call on Highway.

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Just had a close call with my '79.
Riding at a not so legal speed on the highway, i hear and feel a ticking noise from the lower end of the bike. Not knowing where it is coming from but thinking it might be something serious about to happen in the engine i grab the clutch and aim for the very convenient off-ramp. Get slowed down to about 5 mph before the rear wheel locks on a slight left turn.
After shuffling the bike off the line of fire i am expecting transmission or engine problems.
Instead i find a rear sprocket bolt has backed out and made a mess of the right side wearing away about half of the swingarm by the shock mount. I am lucky i guess that i was going fast enough that it carved up the swingarm and chain adjusters instead of locking the rear wheel up at speed.
The walkaround bolt check is back in my pre-ride ritual.

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Close call on Highway.

Post by ericfreeman »

I've swapped rear sprockets several times on my '79 and always use blue Loctite on the nuts/studs. So far no problems, but I'll be checking closer from now on! Glad you caught it before it caused a real problem.

Eric

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Close call on Highway.

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Safety Wire!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”