Clutch Question

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Clutch Question

Post by Samelak »

I am going to pull my engine soon for a paint job and thought it would be a good time to replace the clutch plates. It still works pretty good, just some slight slipping. What is a good brand to go with? I also want to get rid of the rattling noise. I don't want to spend the money on a later model clutch. I remember reading somewhere that the hardened pucks can be replaced. Does anyone have any directions and list of part numbers?

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Clutch Question

Post by Don »

Six Center in the Netherlands is where you want to buy your parts for the basket rebuild

Don

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Lee, you might find a write-up in the old issues of the XPress if you don't find one here. If you download them all they are actually searchable as I OCRed the contents. Download them into a folder and have Windows search the contents of the folder for a few choice keywords. Tom Whaley aka Rocketman used to do these for fun, if you can get ahold of him he will have a treasure trove of experience to share on the process. I believe one of his steps is to machine down the heads of the new bolts that hold the basket together. I think rivets get drilled out in this location, could be wrong.

If the fibers look good and the steels aren't blued, consider starting with simply the springs. That's cheap and fast to do.

If you need any advice on how to snap those bolts on the holder plate, I'm your man.

Two of those bolts are longer, and go into two specific bosses. The manual is a little oblique about it. if you take it all the way apart, watch for this very carefully. If you get this wrong disaster awaits.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Honda clutch plates work the best for normal applications and are still available. Don's advice on Six Center's clutch fix is good. Nils knows his clutch assembly! Good luck.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote: Nils knows how to totally botch his his clutch reassembly a few times till Dave patiently walks him through it!

Dave
Fixed it for ya Dave :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”