Replacement Keys

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Replacement Keys

Post by Carl »

Does anyone know where I can locate a genuine Honda key? I justed picked up a bike with one key. Last time this happened I paid a visit to a Honda dealer (scheister on Ebay whose been trying to unload the Silver Windjammer for the last 6 months). He disappeared into the back room and came out a few minutes later with a generic "Ilco" cut key for $10.00.

He also ground off the part number of the blank. Must have thought I was going to go into the key making business :roll: Today I called another Honda dealer in my area. I was told keys are no longer available. They suggested I change the ignition switch asembly (for a paltry $155.00). There's gotta be a better solution....
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Honda key

Post by SS »

Carl:

I just (2 months ago) had a new OEM key made for my 82 X @ my local Honda store with a real honda blank (plastic top) for $6.50 with my HRC discount.

I did have an original key, the dealer took the code numbers from, and cut my new key with a punch type hand held key cutter. But he was also willing to sell me a OEM blank key.

The OEM Honda key that the dealer sold me was a very close, but not a perfect match.

On looks alone most people will never see the minor diff.

I'd say try another Honda dealer somewhere else
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Key

Post by Guest »

Some years ago, I did a similar thing.

Although the "exact original" CBX key was no longer available, my experienced, customer service-oriented Honda parts guy took the time to look up what other models' still-available OEM blanks were similar to the CBX's, and cut me a new key from one of those.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Replacement Keys

Post by Jim-Jim »

Guest,

Since I don't have a 'service-friendly' Honda guy, do you have the P/Ns for the Honda blanks you found? We could give it a shot at our dealers. Thanks. :D :D

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX key

Post by busaboy »

Jim-Jim:

This is my real screen ID - I was in as "Guest" before 'cause I hadn't logged in.

The key blank part number is 35121-KW3-771. My bike is an '80; I am assuming this will fit an '82, as well - that's something you would have to confirm. I asked Gary at Coleman Powersports this, he said he was pretty sure it would fit an '82. He also has at least one blank in stock right now.

While all the parts guys at Coleman Powersports are very professional and customer-oriented, RL (the guy goes by those initials) is the real veteran that has been working there since before CBXs were introduced!

If you don't get appropriate service at your dealer, I am sure these guys would be glad to help you. Their number is 703-237-3400; they're in Falls Church, VA.

Good luck - eric
Eric

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

KEYS

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

CARL, I had a 3rd key cut for my 80 as a spare at the dealer in Daytona many years ago. It is a hardware store type ( large) on a CURTIS blank- it is coded HD-74 The flip side says " Fits Honda USA" Hope it gets you going in the right direction- Crazy Dave
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Replacement Keys

Post by Carl »

I stopped in at a locksmith today in NYC. Same black plastic top as a Honda key. $7.50 + tax=$8.13. Much nicer than the key I had made for my other bike by that scheister Honda dealer mentioned in original post.

Thanks guys

Carl

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

key

Post by busaboy »

Did it have the trademark Honda Wing on it?
Eric

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

key

Post by Carl »

no it is a clone

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Hondakeys.com
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by busaboy »

"Hondakeys.com" looked like an interesting site, but all I coould get was pictures of bikes MUCH older than CBX. I saw no info on keys!!

Maybe if you fill out the "order sheet", you will get a response indicating whether they have CBX keys.
Eric

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”