Damn chain rivet tool!

rekit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Damn chain rivet tool!

Post by rekit »

OK, I went to the 38 T rear sprocket, bought the chain breaker tool, removed 4 pins, and NOW I need a F..king rivet tool to put it together. Another $100 tool. Shit. Anyone got any ideas? I know its not time for shortcuts. I'll have to load it on a trailer to the G. D. dealer. Price of admission I guess.............

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Damn chain rivet tool!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have never had any trouble with a clip-style master link on the CBX. $6-$10.00.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have used a master link on both my CBXes for years without a problem and will do so on the one I am resurrecting right now. I know, many of the hard core riders say it is not proper/safe to do, but I don't like endless chains on a classic bike with a higher maintenace level for a variety of reasons. And if you are under time pressure, you can use one right now to get going and rivet your chain at a later time.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Here is a kit for less, if you go that route.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYC ... ccessories

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

A couple alteratives, ask someone here to loan you a tool or use the clip and saftey wire it, I have been saftey wiring clips forever and have never had a problem.

Maybe we as a club can buy a chain tool and loan it out to members.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Never had a chain come off but I have had clips come off and it was very disconcerting. Yes, they were installed correctly. I now use rivet style master links on all my bikes (endless chain) and love them. Simply because someone has used a clip style master link for years without a problem is no reason to continue doing so. Cops can go 20 years without using their gun but would they go on duty without it? Best is best and in my opinion a rivet style master link is best.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

rekit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rekit »

I talked to RK Chain (chat) on the main web site. I asked that they began putting what type M.L. is included with each chain so you would know before you got the chain whether or not you needed a tool, or put both(?) types. He said the clip style is OK but not recommended, so they are mailing me a clip style and I will ride to a shop and have the rivet one rivitted. Thanks for the replys. I am not sure if my front sprocket was installed correctly when I took it apart. There is a round metal cover, and two black plastic washer looking parts, and then the sprocket, with the flat part of the sprocket toward the outside, and there is an o-ring on the bolt. I DID find out what the o-ring is for. (Don't run the bike without this bolt and o-ring so your friends can hear it-friggin oil poured out the shaft!). I'm going to make a new post about the parts sequence, but if you can shed some light, let me know-the Honda manual is not clear on these parts.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't know what rear wheel set-up you have, but normlly, the flat side of the front sprocket goes to the inside and the hub side to the outside. Some turn the sprocket around when they put a wider rear wheel on the bike in order to move the chain line outward for proper alignment.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

The important thing on a split chain ( other than getting the clip pointing in the correct direction) is getting the correct split link for that chain. Same make/manufacture & type... Never had a problem myself with split links....
ICOA # 656

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I, personally, know racers who use safety wire instead of clips. Never have seen an issue. Just need to be certain everything is seated correctly: side plates, clip, safety wire in grooves of link pins. Clip no different. As Larry said, above, too, be certain to use the parts of the same manufacturer intended for the same chain. Rivet joints can be sloppy, too. And, then, work loose. Mostly, it's the care in the detail, here, that counts most.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”