Gas cap gasket?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Gas cap gasket?

Post by Terry »

Yesterday I was cruising along the coast on my 82 and after 89 miles into a fill up I turned inland for some corner carving when I began to smell gas. I had to scrub off some serious speed to make a corner and after the turn I smelled it. As I looked down I saw a few droplets behind the gas cap on top of the tank. I guess after 97,000 miles its getting thinner or smaller or...in any event apparently needs replacing. Are they available or can they be made or can I use one from a more recently made bike?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Terry, I am a little confused... you need a new gas cap or just a gasket?
CB650 (Nighthawk) had the same gascap as the Prolinks...

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

EMS wrote:Terry, I am a little confused... you need a new gas cap or just a gasket?
CB650 (Nighthawk) had the same gascap as the Prolinks...
Hmmm, maybe you need to work on that Mike. :? :lol: The closer I look at it the more I think it can't (be) replaced. Its ID is 1&1/2" and the OD is 2&1/2" but it has a lip that disappears under the leading edge of the whole cap! I tugged at it but it didn't seem that it was made come loose. I think I should be able to shim it maybe, with a thin gasket of similar size tucked under the inner edge that contacts the tank and seals it. The thread title states Gas cap gasket so that's what I thought I needed but...and TAS says Honda didn't list the gasket separately from the cap!

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Here is a gasket on E-bay for BIN $7.95:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-CB750-CB750F- ... 51907e39d9

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks Steve but all the ones on ebay are for early model caps.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”