More petcock queries...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

More petcock queries...

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am trying to cobble together a tank/petcock for a buddy.
What is the position of the rubber stopper inside the sleeve of the plastic gas filter?
Is there a washer required between the threaded tank spigot and the petcock nut? Plastic? Fiber?
Thanks for any info, gents.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Steve:

First is the O-ring over the inlet, then the sleeve and then the strainer.
There is no washer or seal between the threaded collar and the tank.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The rubber sleeve inside the screen is located at the top of the brass standpipe. There is a thin o-ring that fits in the recess if the tank spigot. It slides down over the plastic screen. It'll leak without it. If you get a strainer set for the petcock from Honda, it will come with the o-ring.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks Mike and Dave for the info.
I have two Pingel setups and two stock petcocks in various stages of repair. One of the stock ones had a fat rubber o-ring and the other one had nothing. Surprisingly, neither leaked.
I will get a strainer set from Honda.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rubber sleeve inside strainer screen

Post by Kool_Biker »

daves79x wrote:The rubber sleeve inside the screen is located at the top of the brass standpipe. There is a thin o-ring that fits in the recess if the tank spigot. It slides down over the plastic screen. It'll leak without it. If you get a strainer set for the petcock from Honda, it will come with the o-ring.

Dave
P1060710.jpg
Dave, you seem to indicate the sleeve inside the petcock screen should be higher than in my picture?
At the top of the brass standpipe, i.e. near the top of the screen rather than about the middle as shown?
Thanks
Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: More petcock queries...

Post by daves79x »

Aris:
There's more than meets the eye with these. The strainer you show is for the '80-'81 petcock - a '469' part #. The '469' petcock has a 53mm standpipe - to match the location of your rubber sleeve. The '79 petcock has an 80mm standpipe and a differently sectioned strainer with the rubber sleeve higher to be at the top of the higher standpipe. Over here, only the '469' strainer is still available and it only exactly matches up with the '80-'81 petcocks. It could be used with the '422' petcock, I think, by repositioning the sleeve.

You can tell if you have the entire '469' petcock by the outlet - the '469' has a 3/8 inch outlet and the '422' one has a 1/4 inch outlet. And also, of course, by the short standpipe. I suspect you have a complete '469' petcock.

Obviously, the reserve capacity is slightly different between the two petcocks. And the '82 petcock is a completely different unit.

So to answer your original question - the rubber sleeve should be located such that the top of the brass standpipe just slides into it and no further. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but that's the scoop on the differences in the two units.

Dave

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Dave, Aris,

I just rebuilt my 1979 petcock (422) and had a 1980 (469) to use as a guide. I did not know until Dave's post above that they had different length pipes. Of course, the new strainer I got was the 469 (I did not know these were unique as well), so fabricating a new brass pipe ( the 1979 pipe was pretty much gone) matching the 1980 unit seemed to fit the strainer properly. Ignorance is bliss.

I installed the rubber plug in the strainer before putting the assembly on the brass pipe. There are little molded stops on the I.D. of the strainer to position the rubber plug appropriately. When the assembly is slid over the brass tube, the plug is pretty much right at the end of the tube.

Barry

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Interesting ... Here's what I have.
P1050915 (1).jpg
The petcock outlet is 1/4" so it is a 422, but as you say (see also pic), the strainer is probably a 469. Thanks for pointing out!
The rubber sleeve is located positively inside the strainer, but the brass certainly goes through it and stands higher, may be >2cm from memory. You can clearly see the sleeve mark on the tube!
So I guess this arrangement would lead to an earlier 'reserve' condition but little else? And may be hardly worth doing anything about it?
Shortening the original brass tube would be a shame. Am I right?
Cheers, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aris/Barry:
I think you guys about summed up the reality of the whole situation. The only scenario that wouldn't work very well is trying to use the original 422 strainer with the 469 petcock. The standpipe would be too short to engage the rubber collar. I guess this falls into the 'mostly useless trivia' category!

Dave

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”