Westco gelcell battery--oops,AGM battery!

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Westco gelcell battery--oops,AGM battery!

Post by sr71cbx »

Hello to all,
I purchased a Westco gelcell battery for my turbo '79 CBX.The difference in engine cranking speed is like night & day!My old battery was barely a year old and still in good shape but this one will beat it hands down!I just returned from the ICOA Death Valley meet on Monday and the battery performed flawlessly,lighting off the turbo bike much quicker when cold.
I would recommend one of these batteries as I have heard nothing bad about them and the absence of a vent tube to tarnish your finish or piss acid all over the place is sure a big plus!Let's hear some feedback on this issue............. 8)
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sat May 03, 2003 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

The timing couldn't have been better for me. The CBX battery is doing okay, but the 1100F is needing one; so I ordered a WestCo Gel-Cell and Soneil charger. We'll see how it goes.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

batteries...

Post by sr71cbx »

------The website for Westco is: www.westcobattery.com ,you can order from them online.The CBX battery number is 12V22. 8) :wink:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The Westco isn't a "gelcell" battery (thank heavens) but is a true Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery - Similar to an Optima car battery - Most aircraft have used AGM's for many years as well. Gel batteries aren't worth a damn compared to an AGM.

Miatas came OEM with AGM batteries because they're mounted in the trunk, and Westco makes one of the better replacements for them as well. Even the OEM AGM's in the Miata frequently last for 8 to 10 years - I took the one out of my '94 Miata last year (replaced it with a more powerful Optima) and put the Miata battery on my 10 KW generator - AGM's are perfect for applications which don't see regular use, as they self discharge about 10 times slower than a standard lead acid battery.

My bike's getting one as soon as I tie up a few other loose ends ;)

Don

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

westco batteries...

Post by sr71cbx »

-----OK,Don,I stand corrected on the Westco batteries,had overlooked the AGM theory but thanx for clearing the air.I'm happy about not having any vent tube to piss acid all over everything even after you take precautions to route it correctly.

Whatever the case,they work bitchen and I'd recommend one to anyone for sure. 8)

I made a change to the title of the topic so others don't get confused. :)

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Absolutely right, Don. I learning. Didn't know there were so many different kinds of batteries out there, but the AGM type looks hard to beat. Know a guy that just did a painstaking restoration of his '67 GTO, only to have the engine compartment ruined when the battery spewed. Wonder if anyone is producing an AGM that looks like an old tar-top for the restoration crowd.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”