Rebuilding speedo 1979 CBX

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rebuilding speedo 1979 CBX

Post by Hamza »

Hi guys,

I have started working on the gauges and managed to pull mine open. It is evident that someone has been in here with incorrect needles and a heap of black silicone...

I noticed that the shaft for the trip reset is either missing or broken off. The presence of the circlip and the visuals of the shaft make me think it has broken off. I wanted to ask if someone has experienced this before and if it is fixable or a write off?

Another question I had was if this is the correct speedo for the bike? It is an early Z I believe..US delivered...I am aware than due to some legislation US delivered bikes also had the 85 MPH speedo? I would appreciate if someone can share the history for my knowledge and also if my bike came with the 150 MPH version?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Rebuilding speedo 1979 CBX

Post by daves79x »

Your bike originally came with the 150 speedo and the 11.5 tach. Too bad you're not over here in the States - we have a guy....

Dave

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Hi Dave,

I am in Melbourne. Australia now so I could send it out and to be honest I did get in touch with Mike also I believe he is in Florida..I wanted to save money by really doing it myself. I have restored some old Honda speedos including the old honda police speedos so I feel with some guidance and direction I can bring these back to life. I did manage to disconnect the trip meter from the casing; One of the black locking tabs was cracked also and I think I can 3D print another one quite easily. I think i may also have figured out how the meter resets. I am not sure if to reset the knob, do you need to rotate the knob a full 360 degrees or keep on going till it catches the numbers and then zeros them all together...much like those counter things the club bouncers used to have in their hands to count people going in and coming out....

Ofcourse, I think I may be able to pull the trip meter apart off the shaft and have a new one remachined, It would be handy if I can get some dimensions or any spares if there are any floating around...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You certainly have more patience and skill than I do. Yes, you must rotate the trip knob until all the digits are zero. This takes perhaps several 360 rotations.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Is that a drop of your blood at 6250 rpm’s on the gauge housing? Dave is right it takes a lot of patience to rebuild a set of gauges, you seem to be on your way to figuring it out, good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Do a search here on the forum for gauge restoration, maybe you can use a few hints and tricks to help you out.

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:10 am
Is that a drop of your blood at 6250 rpm’s on the gauge housing? Dave is right it takes a lot of patience to rebuild a set of gauges, you seem to be on your way to figuring it out, good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Do a search here on the forum for gauge restoration, maybe you can use a few hints and tricks to help you out.
Haha It may be a battle scar from the idiot who mangled this thing up!!

I managed to pop this assembly open. I think the shaft is broken at the end (photo below with a red box).

I am not sure if this is the model with a threaded shaft for the trip knob or the one with a screw into the shaft (axially). Can someone share their experience with a meter off a '79?

Anyone ever made this shaft or has the total length?

I reckon I can 3D print one at home, test fit it if it works I can get it machined from the 3D data!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Also anyone has any idea regarding the functioning of item 16 in the picture above?

Also when I opened my gauge, item 18 was sitting above the leaf spring. Why do I have a feeling it should be sitting below it?

4Everything
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by 4Everything »

Maybe this will help. Photo of mine, still to be restored.
Speedo 01.jpg
Speedo 02.jpg

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

4Everything wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:12 am
Maybe this will help. Photo of mine, still to be restored.Speedo 01.jpgSpeedo 02.jpg
Thanks!!

Appreciate it..sure will help!

Do you know what the little bronze tab/flap is for?

Cheers

Hamza

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Hello Hamza, did you ever get your gauges sorted? Just wondering, Mike in Florida.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”