Things to keep in mind choosing a CBX (Problems

Alessio
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Things to keep in mind choosing a CBX (Problems

Post by Alessio »

Hi all, as previously wrote, I am searching for a CBX, because I've loved the sound of this engine immediately: every, EVERY time I play some video, I get goose bumps :)

I've found many greedy sellers, in Italy, with prices 'till 18.000 euros :sad-roulette:
A few days ago I've lost a wonderful black first serie gone away for about 5.500, and now I've found a 1980 for 4.500, 64.000 km (less than 40.000 miles)

I've made searches in this forum and on the Net, seems to be an affordable bike, but there is some thing I have to pay special attention for?
Engine? Chassis?

Some pro link are now available for about 6.500-8.000 euros, I know they has some not better known 'chassis improvements'.

I would to install 17 inches rims, modern fork and brakes and rear suspesion from Fazer or other fittable, the loss of power from the first series is not a problem: should I prefere a prolink for this transformation and every day use?

Note: I can do myself many works on it.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Things to keep in mind choosing a CBX (Problems

Post by NobleHops »

If your ambitions are to build a custom and swap wheels and front-end then you are far better off buying a Prolink bike. (81-82) You’ll spend less for the bike, get the better rear suspension and stouter frame.

If you master the use of search on this site you will find that all of these customization topics have been explored at length. The best process is to search, read, and then maybe start a project thread for your build. Post photos as you go and ask your questions there. If you get the community engaged in your build, you will find that help will come from all corners.

Good luck and have fun!

Nils Menten
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Alessio

Post by Alessio »

Thank you Nils!
so is a truth that the Pro-link version has a better frame :)
At the moment the best price found for a Prolink is 6.000 euro, an '81 version with similar mileage, altough with less mileage.

I hope there are not known problems on that engine at similare mileages..

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Take Nils advice and read through some of the most excellent build threads here on the forum, you need to become familiar with the differences between the late and early models and figure out what will work best for your build. The late model frame is stronger near the battery box area, the frame is braced there to mount the mono shock, the early model can be braced there without much effort to strengthen that area too. If you’re adding a stronger swingarm, USD forks and more powerful brakes the extra bracing is a good idea.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”