'80 CBX doesn't start suddendly

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

'80 CBX doesn't start suddendly

Post by loft1 »

I took the bike last Tuesday, no problem at all, the bike runs fine. On Thursday, surprise! My CBX doesn't start anymore. I immediately think it's due to the battery, but the lights are on, so it seems there's power in the circuit. Anyway, yesterday i charged the battery completely, trying then again to crank the bike, but still the same issue. I believe there's something wrong with the spark plugs, perhaps a lean mixture has dirty them? Since i bought the CBX in July, i had no problem at all in cranking the bike (it's a bit slow, i will have soon an AGM battery). What could it be otherwise?
Here's a video of the issue, hope it can help you

https://youtu.be/mRAZHM_J5lY
Last edited by loft1 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: '80 CBX doesn't start suddendly

Post by daves79x »

Most CBXs crank a lot longer than that to start after sitting. Apparently yours has not, until now. If the vacuum valve on your carbs is still in place, it may have failed. Not a common problem though. I'd try draining the carbs, then refilling with fresh gas. See what comes out of the bowls when you drain them.

Dave

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

Thanks Dave, i've found the cause, it was a contact in the kill engine switch, which wasn't working properly. Weird issue though

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Both left and right switches need to be completely disassembled and cleaned after 40 years. You'll be amazed at the crud and old hard grease in them.

Dave

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”