1979 Lost keys

Haydenss
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1979 Lost keys

Post by Haydenss »

Hello I was recently giving a 1979 cbx that haven't ran in at least ten years since the original owners passing. The bike came with o keys. Any idea where I can find the key codes or if it has any thanks

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1979 Lost keys

Post by tevan »

On the side of the ignition switch if it is a original Honda. If it is a aftermarket all bets off.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good luck and fun with the project!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Noel Brahimi

Post by Noel Brahimi »

If the motorcycle is a 1979 Honda CBX, it is likely that the key code is stamped on the lock itself or on the title of the motorcycle. It's also possible that the key code is with the original owner's papers or with the dealership where the motorcycle was purchased.

If you can't find the key code, a locksmith who specializes in motorcycle locks may be able to create a new key for you using the existing lock. They may be able to decode the lock and create a new key or create a new key using the existing lock as a sample.

Another option would be to check with the Honda dealership where the motorcycle was originally purchased, they may still have a record of the key code, or check with the Honda Motor Co. they may have a record of the key code as well.

Keep in mind that if the motorcycle hasn't run in ten years, it would be a good idea to have locksmith Bromley inspect it thoroughly before attempting to start it, as it may require a significant amount of work to get it running again.
Last edited by Noel Brahimi on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Welcome, Noel! This is an old post you’re replying to, but I’ll pitch in too. On the side of the ignition you will find a fairly faint code stamped into the metal. The last three numerals are all you need. Take those to an eBay vendor called cyclekeysonline and he can cut you a new perfect key.

For extra fun, if you have a mismatch in your locks, he can also cut a key with one code on one side, and a different code on the other, so you can open locks with two different key codes with a single key. I just ordered a couple like that last night.

This link might not last forever, but this is the guy. Outstanding service.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Here's an example of a code - this is from a 1980 tail trunk lock, but you'd find something similar on the barrel of the ignition. It's SMALL and hard to see. Clean it well and use a strong light - it's there.

On this 80 trunk lock, the chrome cover is swedged on, so it's not practical to get into this to rekey it, as we can do for the helmet and twin-shock gas cap locks, so I'm having a key cut to this code on one side, with the ignition code cut on the other. One key will work with both locks by reversing it on insertion. The operative bit is the three numerals at the end; that's all he needs, in addition to the year and model of the motorcycle. I photograph them as shown so I can freaking read them :-), plus I tuck the photo in my project gallery so I have a reference.
IMG_1544.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent info Nils!

Dave

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

Number location on the ignition
05EE0A76-7DE4-4F92-AEAA-5F10FA9B06B5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”