Lock set

CBX1000chris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Lock set

Post by CBX1000chris »

Hi everyone,
I have a North American import bike here in the UK. The bike has the cubby hole in the tail piece.
Would this bike have had a single key that fitted the ignition, petrol tank, helmet lock and cubby hole lock when new?
My bike has a working ignition / steering lock but the petrol tank lock is broken and I don't have a key for the helmet lock or cubby hole lock.
It would be nice to have all locks working, better still if they were all the same key, is a lock set available? CMSNL have the ignition and petrol tank locks as a 'pair' but don't include the other two locks.
Any advice on my best way forward appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Chris.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Lock set

Post by jnnngs »

Chris,

CMSNL actually have the full lock / key set for the Euro A model (you would lose the steering lock on your US model?):

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/key-set_ ... DOBAtVxdhE

It just costs £500!

You can actually convert the locks to a single key. A bit fiddly, but can be done.

Paul.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

jnnngs wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 am
Chris,

CMSNL actually have the full lock / key set for the Euro A model (you would lose the steering lock on your US model?):

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/key-set_ ... DOBAtVxdhE

It just costs £500!

You can actually convert the locks to a single key. A bit fiddly, but can be done.

Paul.
I have been able to match the switch to the gas cap and helmet lock but I have not been able to do the 80 tailfin lock. Can that be done?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm pretty Louis would have NOS locksets for all years. usedcbxparts.com

Dave

CBX1000chris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000chris »

Thanks guys,
I don't think I'll go down the CMSNL route, I love my bike but......
Paul - are you saying you can modify the barrels so they use the same key pattern? I guess it's only a series of different length pins and springs. (hark at me, "only a series of different length pins and springs" - what could possibly go wrong?).
I guess as my ignition / steering lock works Ok I would use this as the reference and modify other locks to suit. The locks on other Hondas from that era do look to be the same, CB900F, CB750F, CB400 and 250 Superdream etc. so plenty used locks available to experiment with. Another Covid project surfaces.
Very much like spring this afternoon here in Wiltshire, I am so looking forward to just being able to go for a ride to the seaside and eat chips.... (that'll be fries across the pond!).
Chris.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Chris: You never said what year your bike is. "cubby holes" were later retrofits on 79s when Honda decided to no longer sell the "no hole" tail as a replacement part and changed to the kit, together with the two-bump support chrome rail. Keys for these never match the others. I have one on my 79 and it has a separate key. Original 1980 bikes should have one key set for all.

CBX1000chris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000chris »

Sorry EMS, my bike is a 1979 model according to the VIN plate but it has the cubby hole in the tailpiece which I think was fitted to the 1980 models onwards (not 100% sure). I guess the tailpiece could have been swapped at some point.
Regards,
Chris.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

CBX1000chris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:15 pm
Thanks guys,
I don't think I'll go down the CMSNL route, I love my bike but......
Paul - are you saying you can modify the barrels so they use the same key pattern? I guess it's only a series of different length pins and springs. (hark at me, "only a series of different length pins and springs" - what could possibly go wrong?).
I guess as my ignition / steering lock works Ok I would use this as the reference and modify other locks to suit. The locks on other Hondas from that era do look to be the same, CB900F, CB750F, CB400 and 250 Superdream etc. so plenty used locks available to experiment with. Another Covid project surfaces.
Very much like spring this afternoon here in Wiltshire, I am so looking forward to just being able to go for a ride to the seaside and eat chips.... (that'll be fries across the pond!).
Chris.
The locks come apart (never looked at a tail piece lock, but assume the same would be true). You can then remove / move around / adjust the brass slides that the key pushes thro. All locks of that era are pretty much the same.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”