39mm Handlebars

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

39mm Handlebars

Post by jt »

Hoping someone can ID what Honda these came from. They fit 39mm forks, and I have them on a 81 CBX I am building. They are in between the high stock bars and sport clip on's. Need to find throttle cables that will fit. Stock throttle cables are too long and sport cable may fit but seen like it may be tight. Do not remember where I bought them, I have had them for quite awhile.

20190930_181230.jpg
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 39mm Handlebars

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Just a guess JT but they could be Euro Pro-link bars.
Lots of info on 39mm bars in this thread. EMS posted some comparison pics but i couldn't find them.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5649&hilit=39mm+handlebars

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Barnett Clutches and Cables makes custom length cables.
https://www.barnettclutches.com/service ... ?faq_id=22

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

jt: Just to clarify: When you say:
They are in between the high stock bars and sport clip on's.
Are you referring to 79/80CBX bars or Prolink bars?
Following needs to be considered -
- The stock US Prolink bars are lower than the 79/80 stock bars and higher than the 79/80 Sport Kit bars
- The Prolink did not have "Sport Kit" bars. They would be Euro stock bars, which were lower than US stock bars.
If you compare them to "Prolink sport clip-ons" and they are higher, Steve would not be right. They would be from another Honda with 39mm bars.
One of them is the CBX750, but these bars are even lower than U.S. Sport Kit bars.
I know, it gets a little confusing, but if you are a little more clear what you compare them to, we may be able to help.

Here is the picture, Steve referred to.
From high to low:
79/80 U.S and Canada Stock
81/82 U.S. and Canada Stock
79/80 Euro Stock or Sport Kit
81/82 Euro Stock (not available as Sport Kit)
CBX750
There are also Interceptor bars, which some versions may be 39mm and 1992 Euro CB900F bars which were clip-ons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Thanks to all for the help, so from EMS pic I think I am in between the 81/82 US/Canada bars and the 81/82 Euro Stock bars. These are a nice height, not the cow horns of the 81/82 US stock bars. But I would like the 81/82 Euro bars.

The only ones I could compare them to was the 81 US 39mm stock bars and the Sport bars I have on my 79 CBX. Now that I can see from the pic The 81/82 Euro bars and 79/80 Sport bars have roughly the same amount of rise.

Thanks again.
JT In Texas

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jerome: the 79/80 Sport bars and the 81/82 Euro bars have the same rise. The CBX was originally designed with low bars and actually produced like this for the "rest of the world". A "bigwig" at American Honda thought the U.S. consumer was too infatuated with the cruiser-style riding position and insisted that a more "upright" configuration should be used for North America. As a result, the U.S. and Canadian market bikes received higher bars and forward foot-peg location. For the Prolink, with the fairing, the extreme high bars of the 79/80 would interfere with the fairing and the bars were lowered a bit. The "rest of the world" remained as originally designed. Honda did not offer a "Sport Kit" for 81/82. If someone sells one, it is being put together from a stock Euro bike.
I am going out on a limb here, but you may have 1984 VF1000F Interceptor bars. here are photos, courtesy of CMSNL
Check the position of the location pins. They vary from bike to bike

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Mike, Thanks for the info, Looks like you figured it out, mine look exactly like those VF1000 Interceptor bars. Attached is a pic and I'm holding a 79/80 Sport bar up to it, measuring the two looks like the VF 1000 bar is roughly about 5/8" taller .

Thanks for the help !!
JT In Texas

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

JT, earlier you mentioned Sportkit cables so i am assuming you also have the throttle control.
Just reminding others about the possibility of the throttle cables contacting the tank when using lower bars.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The "Sport Kit" cables require the "top exit" throttle switch housing. They will not fit into the stock unit.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:37 am
JT, earlier you mentioned Sportkit cables so i am assuming you also have the throttle control.
Just reminding others about the possibility of the throttle cables contacting the tank when using lower bars.
Yeah Have all the Sport kit items, will change it over and see if cables will work with this slightly taller bar at some point. About ready to fire the old girl up so I proceed with the setup I have now and if I have to pull carbs again will change over to Kit parts.
If you remember from a previous post the carbs were a bear to install with the new rubbers.
Thanks
JT In Texas

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jerome: I want to point out the locator pins again. They are most likely in the wrong spot and will result in an awkward angle for the bars. If they are still there, you may have to remove them.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

EMS wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:32 am
Jerome: I want to point out the locator pins again. They are most likely in the wrong spot and will result in an awkward angle for the bars. If they are still there, you may have to remove them.
The locator pins are missing, but if there they would be located in the correct part of the Top tree in the cut out area,and the position feels fine when sitting on the bike, so no issues there. I will post a pic of the bars in place tonight.

Edit: Pics added.
You can see the long Throttle cable, I got these from Motion Pro, Stock Length. Looks ugly, gotta go !!!!!!!!!
JT In Texas

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

As I said before, Sport Kit cables require the "top exit" Sport Kit switch housing. What you have on the bike in the pictures is a stock switch, bottom cable exit.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

EMS wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:27 pm
As I said before, Sport Kit cables require the "top exit" Sport Kit switch housing. What you have on the bike in the pictures is a stock switch, bottom cable exit.
Yes sir, 10-4 on that, have complete setup, several sets in fact. Will change at first opportunity.
JT In Texas

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

When you are finished sorting out the bars how about some info on the CBX in the background....CBR front end?

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”