Removing bar ends

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Removing bar ends

Post by DaveMadsen »

Putting a 1979 together and I see one of the bar ends is missing. I thought I would remove the other but want understand how it is attached to the handlebar. I assume it is threaded, but for the life of me I can’t break free the remaining bar end (it is the left side so may be susceptible to water/rust. Can someone confirm if the bar ends are threaded (and if they have reverse threads - I don’t want to be cranking on it only to find out I am trying to turn it the wrong way)?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Removing bar ends

Post by jnnngs »

Yes, threaded (not reverse threaded)

They do stick, but normally come off OK with a little brute force. You could try some heat - that will probably help.

Paul.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I bet it won’t come out easily because it has never been out. The other guy probably tried it and gave up. I have extra bars if you have a bad experience. Good luck.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Heat

Dave

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

Thanks, I solicited the help of a 2' breaker bar and the bar end came around to my way of thinking. Now, two questions: (1) where can I get another bar end to replace the one which was missing, and (2) any recommendations on non-OEM bar ends, preferably ones which would use the same threads.

Again, thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Dave

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”