82 tach not working right

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

82 tach not working right

Post by 7mmBR »

Symptom is tach has slow and inadequate response, slugggish response, never bounces any little rev. It will climb slowly to I think the correct reading. I improved it a bit by servicing the cable; Removed the assembly from cam cover and it looks fine there, detectable single point of wear on the slow gear there. Cable ends are intact, turns freely, about 1cm end to end play inside it so Im sure cable is good. Started to remove gauge but still attached by lighting wires and with fairing, I stopped for fear of pulling them out and not being able to get them back in! Any tips on repair? I may decide I can get by without tach, not a hot dogger

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: 82 tach not working right

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Has the bike been siting long? Such as through a long cold Winter. or, perhaps, 2 or 3 years? I had what I'd say was/is a similar issue with the speedo on my old Suzuki. 10 miles down the road and all is well. I'm thinking that it is the damping oil becoming a bit tacky with age and weather. However, given that it all appears to get 'well' with running, much easier than any repair. Just a thought. Hope it works out for you.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Thanks I'll just leave it then and hope for the best, can manage without it. Bike was supposedly ridden until last fall, but symptom seems consistent with viscous fluid, which I didn't know was in there

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

When rebuilding my 79 I recall carefully prying open my tach for the same reason. I'm assuming that originally there was a factory lubricant that was in there that had turned into a thick gel over 30 years. I cleaned it out put it back together and it's been fine ever since.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

thanks guys I'll open 'er up and have a look

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Do not open the instrument!! Just be patient and run the bike, it will most likely recover.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

OK that sounds easier, at least for now. Ambient temperature will take a shot up soon here which can only help

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”