crash bar bolts

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

crash bar bolts

Post by 7mmBR »

Hi I have a crash bar that came off of a'79 that looks like will work fine for my '82, need all attachment bolts. I could figure out the diameter and pitch and estimate their length but thought why not ask in here. :-) . I'm thinking better not go with any special hardness in case one ever had to be drilled out. I'm thinking just don't overtighten and use never seize or graphite, sound good? Also figure could cut softer bolts easier if I get them a bit long

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: crash bar bolts

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Install with some grease or anti-seize. INSTALL TO MINIMUM TORQUE! You won't have to be concerned with getting them out.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Unless you have removed the fairing, you already have the top mount bolts holding the fairing bracket on. Just get stainless replacements for the bottom mounts and the joints for the two sides.

Dave

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Oops that wasn't a good question; for no good reason I was thinking lower bolts went into threaded aluminum holes in block. For the file here 82 Pro-Line upper crash bar bolts are M8X1.25 and (with fairing and my bar) need to be 52mm long plus any washer thickness
Last edited by 7mmBR on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Yes thanks guys I'll be fine with this. I need longer top mount bolts than are there for the fairing, but all good! I gave her the TLC she deserves, chased the hole threads there.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”