Wheel Bearing Removal

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wheel Bearing Removal

Post by cbx4evr »

Any suggestions as to how to go about removing the wheel bearings from the rims front and rear? Manual doesn't say anything about it. Not a whole lot of room to use a puller or even to drive them out.

Same goes for the bearing retainer. Any one use a tool other than Honda's to remove these?

Thank you.

Nick

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Another question I have concerning the wheel bearings is whether they are sealed on both sides. I can see the seal on the outside but the manual seems to indicate that they are open on the back (the side you can't see when installed).

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Wheel bearing r/r

Post by cbx6ss »

Same question here; I did not see any response. Help appreciated.

Thank you.

/r

Brad

eyrepb@comcast.net

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

It is always best to have the right tool for the job but how many people are gonna go out a buy a bearing driver set to use one time?

Not many.

So what you do is get a good solid drift pin and a BMFH to remove the old ones and then install the new ones that will be sealed on both sides most likely anyways. If they are open on one side, install the open to the inside.

Open to the inside.

Do not forget to reinstall the spacer and dust caps if they apply.

The job is very easy in out and in.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

That's an old thread. Well since I started it and did it I'll add my 2 cents.

Front wheels are relatively easy. Once removed drive the bearings out from the inside with a punch.

For the rear wheels I made a simple tool (picture below) using four machine screws on a piece of flat steel to remove the bearing retainers.

Then used a pipe wrench to turn it and the retainers came out easily. Bearings simply drive out from the opposite side with a punch. Be aware that there are three bearings in the rear wheel.

Putting new bearings back in is a simple task made simpler with the right tools. I tried using a punch but after piercing the seal on one bearing (don't laugh) I made a bearing driver out of PVC pipe of the same diameter. Remember you want to be driving on the outer race of the bearing. Buy your bearings at some industrial bearing supply house. Much cheaper than Honda. Buy an extra in case you screw up like I did.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”