Tire Options

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tire Options

Post by cross »

Hi Guys,

I've been searching online for new tires for my '82 CBX and have not found many options.
This is what i've found
Dunlop GT501
Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V
Bridgestone Spitfire S11
Continental ContiGO!

How do this compare?

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Tire Options

Post by daves79x »

Go with the S-11. Correct rear size for the '82 - 130/90-18. Most others are 130/80-18. S11 wears very well and while being H-rated, is still far better than anything put on these back in the day. Good price too.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I think that manual states 138/80-18 and that's what's on the bike now.
Is this why looks so upright with side stand?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No - the manual says 130/90-18 for the rear of the Pro-Links. And, yes, that's why it now sits upright on the sidestand and why it's a bear to get on the centerstand with a 130/80.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes Dave, you are correct, it is 130/80-19 and looking online, there is not much other then spitfire SL and metzeler laser
Kenda and shinko are the other ones but never heard of those.
So is front size 100/90-19 correct for the front?
Also, are you saying that with 90 rear, bike will stay more upright but with 80 will be harder to out up on center stand?
This is my first bike with center stand and I'm having difficulty putting it up on center stand. I guess it takes some practice.
It would be nice to safely use side stand for quick stops.
I cleaned carbs yesterday per mike nixons spring cleaning guide.
Cleaned and gapped spark plugs, removed oil pan and cleaned and checked oil pump strainer.
Filled with zddp and fresh oil.
I got it running today, it's still a bit rough but it starts now and it smokes a bit but that's probably because it still has carb cleaner in the system us I added some seafoam in the auxiliary tank with the gas and run it a bit in hopes that some cleaner will enter carbs and disolve rest of gunk.
I'm waiting for tank filter and petcock O ring to arrive so I can get the tank mounted and take the bike for spin with fresh gas In it. I think that it will run much better once ridden a bit.

I'm very happy that it started.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

100/90-19 is correct for the front. Don't be tempted to go to a 110/90-19 - your front fender will thank you. No, your bike will lean properly on the sidestand with the correct 130/90-18 on the rear. And the bike will go on the centerstand much easier also, but know the Pro-Link is a bit tougher to centerstand even so. Go with the S-11 tires - they are perfect for the Pro-Link.,

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thanks Dave, i think that i'll do that.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Rechecking your posts, you guys are all over the map on your rear tire size???
Dave says 130/90/18 then he says 130/90/19.
Cross says 138/80/18 then he says 130/80/19.
Probably some typos in there somewhere?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not to be contentious, although I did find one place in this thread that did I say 130/90/19 for the rear, everyone knows the rear is 18" so any reference to a 19" rear would obviously be a typo. I make 'em all the time, and I'll take credit for them when pointed out.

This is not hard - For the Pro-Link bikes, the correct tire sizes are: front - 100/90-19 and rear - 130/90-18 - PERIOD. If you want to use something else, feel free!

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes, Dave is correct and i think i did make few typo's and have corrected myself.
The only tires in that size are bridgestone spitfire S11 and i think that there is shenko and kenda but i'm happy with a known brand!
When i bough the bike, i did have 130/80 in the back but bike was to upright on side stand, now its better.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Re-reading again - I did indeed find where I typed 130/90-19. If that was misleading, I apologize.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Respectful suggestion that the errors be edited, both originally and where copied/quoted. A lot more people than you think read this board and use it for reference, and it could cause confusion.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

NobleHops wrote:Respectful suggestion that the errors be edited, both originally and where copied/quoted. A lot more people than you think read this board and use it for reference, and it could cause confusion.
That was what I was getting at. I was only trying to help - not criticize. Both Dave and Cross have been very helpful to me and I appreciate their inputs. Sorry if I offended :oops: . I was looking for suggestions on tires and was a little confused is all.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Not at all!! It was important that be clarified, thanks for speaking up. All is well.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

About the "putting-the-Prolink-on-the-centerstand"-issue: Make sure the rear shock is on proper pressure. Neglecting this will contribute to an increased effort in putting the bike on the c/s. And if you have an aftermarket rear shock and the installed height is different, this may also have an effect.

...and as far ast tires are concerned, there is another brand available with a 130/90-18, the Maxxis I have seen it for $56.99 for the "Marquis" and $54.99 for the "Hi-Max". Corresponding fronts in 100/90-19 available also.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”