Comstar wheel restoration

les
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Comstar wheel restoration

Post by les »

Sorry if this comes up twice, but i posted this question in the wrong category. I want to remove the five nuts and bolts from my 1978 rear wheel, have them zinc plated and reinstall. If i am carefull to use a tension wrench and reset them all would there be any problems. I was told these wheels were naver meant to be messed with? Thanks Les.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Comstar wheel restoration

Post by Don »

You're correct - Honda advises not to take them apart - That advice is stamped into many of the Comstars

If you did take one apart and intended to reassemble it, I'm sure they would advise you NOT to reuse the hardware . . . . but I'm pretty sure they also don't sell the hardware new, as they never intended anyone to reassemble any wheels in the field

Don

les
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by les »

Thanks Don, looks like my concourse restoration will fall a little short of perfect. I managed to get a brand new front wheel, but no luck sourcing a new rear one. Les.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The black boomerangs on my bike are not *exactly* the same - The rear one is factory black anodized with silver hardware . . . . the front one is powedercoated black and the hardware was painted silver to match the back. It's not perfect, but it's close enough that few would notice

If your rear wheel can be refurbished without disassembling it good enough to meet your standards, I'm pretty sure you could find some silver paint which matches your front wheel hardware that you could use on the rear wheel . . . . at least it would hold you over until you find the NOS wheel it sounds like you're looking for

Don

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Not sure on your wheel but I have seen some that had a pin drilled in along the lenght of the bolt thread making removal of the nut near impossible.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”