CB1100F wheel swap

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CB1100F wheel swap

Post by Samelak »

I know the CB1100F wheel swap is a common swap for CBXs, but I have not seen a complete list of "things to do" anywhere. I have a 80 CBX and want to be able to swap over either the gold boomerangs or mag wheels (like the Katrina bike), but be able to keep the stock 80 brakes and other components. All I want is swap the wheels themselves. Is this possible or would I have to swap overother parts to make it work? Things that come to mind are the brake discs, speedo gear, fender, brake caliper and mount.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CB1100F wheel swap

Post by EMS »

I have not done the U.S. CB1100F wheel swap, the mag wheels, but I have done the gold boomerang swap. They bolt right on and you can even use the stock rotors. On the mag wheels, you can not, you have to use the 1100F rotors. Which means you may have to change calipers, as the rotors have a narrower swept area for the double piston calipers.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Usually the 1100F wheels are swapped in with other 1100F (or Prolink) components . . . . I don't recall someone changing just the wheels, but someone probably has over the past 20 or 25 years. As Mike said, the gold boomerangs are an easier swap, if all you want to swap is the wheels . . . . if you can find a nice set of the wheels. If you don't like them gold, it''s not too hard to have them powdercoated

The entire 1100F rear end with swingarm, shocks, nice chrome chain guard and dual piston caliper with the 1100F wheel and rotor is *almost* a 'bolt-on' for an early CBX - That's how the Katrina bike got the 1100F wheels. You get a stiffer swingarm, a much better brake, a lighter, wider (3 inch) rear wheel and an extra 1/2 inch or so of wheelbase all for not much money . . . . and it still looks like a CBX, but it rides much better. The 1100F swingarm and wheel allows you to run a wider rear tire . . . . up to a 140/80-17

Up front you can go with ProLink forks and use the dual piston 900F calipers and brackets and you get a much stiffer, better handling front suspension with much, much better brakes. That's what the Katrina bike (mine) had in the pictures you saw in the CBXpress . . . . It now has a set of Canadian 1100F forks with the TRAC system (and the built-in fork brace) which I much prefer to my previous ProLink setup. I also now have a CX500 Turbo gold boomerang front wheel (powdercoated black) to match the Euro VF1000F 3.5 inch black anodized Boomerang I found on eBay

Pics of the completed package are in the Gallery

Don

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I'm really looking for a wheel set-up I can swap back and forth with from a stock look to custom and then back. How about a set of 86 VFR wheels? They seem plentiful and rim sizes are sort of close. I'm a machinist by trade, so making spacers would be easy. Has anyone used these? Maintaining stock suspension and brakes is a main factor. I just cruise with the bike and better performance is not that important. I have a 01 GSX 1400 if I want to rip it up.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Samelak wrote:I'm really looking for a wheel set-up I can swap back and forth with from a stock look to custom and then back. How about a set of 86 VFR wheels? They seem plentiful and rim sizes are sort of close. I'm a machinist by trade, so making spacers would be easy. Has anyone used these? Maintaining stock suspension and brakes is a main factor. I just cruise with the bike and better performance is not that important. I have a 01 GSX 1400 if I want to rip it up.
I am not sure what VFR you're looking at? Watch for wheel diameters. Some of the VFRs had a smaller front than rear. That is a really crappy combination and actually cuased to get the original VFRs bad press for "tippy steering" at low speeds.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Probably the best wheels to swap back and forth for a 'custom look' would be a set of the gold boomerangs from an 1100F - Since the width, speedo drive and brake rotor mountings are the same as a stock CBX wheel, they'd change in and out in 15 minutes if you wanted to swap back and forth - If you don't care for the gold look, have them powdercoated the color of your choice . . . . mine are black with a red stripe on the rims

You can still maintain a 'stock look' though by swapping in an entire rear end from an 1100F which gives you a much stiffer swing arm with real bearings, a better chain adjustment system, much better (and adjustable) shocks and a dual piston brake caliper . . . . you'll get a nice chrome chain guard with that package too, which looks much better than the black plastic stock one - The bike still looks like a stock CBX but you get all the advantages, so no need to swap it in and out

You could do something similar in the front by swapping in a ProLink front end with the 39mm forks and hang a set of 900F calipers and rotors and have *much* better brakes - Still looks like a stock CBX to all but those who are really familiar with these bikes

There are lots of period Honda parts from other bikes which are pretty much 'bolt ons' that will make significant improvements - since you can machine things to fit, you have even more pieces to choose from

Don

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

The boomerangs seem impossible to come by.What model bikes should I be searching for? Also, looking at a past CBXpress mag, what were the mags used on the Sweepings bike? They looked like a direct stock bolt up.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Samelak, are you and the '80 still in Japan?
I have a set of gold boomerang rims but shipping costs even in the States will be pricey.
They came off of my black '80 which oddly enough is now in Japan. Always liked the gold and black combo.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Canadian 1100F's came with the gold boomerangs, as did Euro 1100R's. CX500 and 650 Turbos used the same front wheel, though you can't use the rear wheels off those due to the shaft drive

I got really lucky and bought a brand spanking new '83 Euro VF1000 black anodized rear wheel still in the Honda box on eBay - It has a 3.5 inch wide rim compared to the 3 inch rim on the gold 1100 wheels. My Euro wheel uses a different cush drive than either the CBX or the 1100 so I had to find something to fit it to complete the package. I bought a used, pitted CX500T front wheel for $40 and cleaned it up and paid $75 to have it powdercoated black to match the rear wheel

Gold boomerangs are pretty rare and kinda spendy - $400 for a nice set would be a good price, IMO . . . . if you could find a decent set for $250 to $300, even spending $100 or so to the them shipped wouldn't be a bad deal

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:Canadian 1100F's came with the gold boomerangs, as did Euro 1100R's. CX500 and 650 Turbos used the same front wheel, though you can't use the rear wheels off those due to the shaft drive

Don
Euro CB1100Fs also had gold boomerangs. The difference is, the CB1100R rear wheels are 18" in diameter and 3.00' wide. The CB1100F wheels are 17" in diameter and 2.75" wide. I have a 3.5x18 which came as an extra with a CB1100R and I have no idea what it is originally from. I always thought it was from CB1100RD but it is not, according to the specs.
Also, some year European VFR750s had gold boomerangs, but the front wheel was 16".
Do not do this on a CBX. Make sure the front wheel is at least the same diameter as the rear.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Samelak, are you and the '80 still in Japan?
I have a set of gold boomerang rims but shipping costs even in the States will be pricey.
They came off of my black '80 which oddly enough is now in Japan. Always liked the gold and black combo.
Just a quick follow-up. I sold a set of the gold wheels to Samelak.
Two thumbs up on the transaction even with the overseas shipping.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Steve,

I got the the new bearings installed, but I noticed my stock speedo and the boomerang speedo use different types of cable inputs. Do I have to get a CB1100F speedometer cable or can I transfer my stock speedo over to the boomerang wheel? If I have to get a new cable, do you have a part number?

Thanks, Lee

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

You should be able to reuse your CBX one so long as the thickness is the same (they also serve as a spacer) and the coupling to the wheel match up

The speedo drive that came with my CX-500 Turbo gold boomerang wheel was identical to the stock CBX one

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What Don said.
I think the CBX speedo drive will work.
If it does match up let me know and i will track down a Cdn. 1100F speedo cable part #.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I finally got all new bearings and seals installed (thank Steve for the part numbers) on the boomerangs. The rear wheel went in with the stock CBX spacers and axle, but it was recommended to use a CB1100F brake disc. It didn't work since the braking surface area was about 1/8 inch smaller in diameter than the CBX. This caused the stock CBX caliper brake pads to ride on the center (non-braking) surface of the CB1100F disc. I swapped in the stock rotor and the problem went away. My only concern is that the rear wheel looks to be sitting a little more to the left instead of dead center (normal? any thoughts?, but the chain looks straight when looking straight at it. I'm going to swap in the front wheel this weekend and should be all done for a ride on Sunday.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”