CB1100F wheel swap

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CB1100F wheel swap

Post by Don »

If the chain and the brake rotor are lined up correctly left to right, I've gotta believe that the wheel is in the correct place

Don

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Everything lined up just fine. I guess I am expecting it to be dead center. The true test will be at 70 MPH down the highway.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Post some pictures first . . . . just in case . . . . ;)

Don

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I got the front wheel on Saturday. Same deal as the rear, I had to use the stock CBX discs on the wheel. Too bad, I liked the gold painted, swirl cast CB1100F discs The stock spacers/axle/speedo drive worked just right. Unfortunately I was called into work all day Sunday, so no pics just yet.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Took the CBX out for a nice long drive. No issues or vibrations.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

NICE! I love the look of the gold wheels on the black bike. Somehow it looks so much classier than on the red.

What pipes are those? They look a lot like Kerker headers, but the mufflers are ???????
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:Took the CBX out for a nice long drive. No issues or vibrations.

WOW Lee, the bike looks great! Fantastic! Great job.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Beauty, Lee.
I was using 900F dual piston calipers with the gold rotors.
Does your Corbin seat fit okay?
I am still wrestling with mine.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Rick Pope wrote:NICE! I love the look of the gold wheels on the black bike. Somehow it looks so much classier than on the red
I agree

Very nice looking bike . . . . the wheels really put it over the top and were a great investment

Don

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

The exhaust is a cheap Mac and it's already rusting. I plan on using the original exhaust once I powdercoat it black. The Corbin seat fits alright, but its a tight fit. My next project is to repaint the engine. I think I am going with a 81/82 black engine paint scheme. I'm still up in the air about polishing the silver engine parts or going with gold to match the bike better. I remember coming across a picture of an engine that was painted black, but the owner painted the covers gold. Does anyone have that picture?

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Samelak wrote:I'm really looking for a wheel set-up I can swap back and forth with from a stock look to custom and then back
It seems you've fallen in love with the look of the 1100F gold boomerangs and maybe you're giving up on ever getting back to the 'stock look?'

I would maybe look into gold plating the valve cover, cam end caps, crank caps and maybe even the timing cover. There are guys who go around to new car lots and they gold plate all the emblems on certain new cars for $10 or $20 . . . . gives them a completely different look. Maybe your parts would have to be chromed first before the gold application, but real gold would certainly go very well with the black engine and your wheels . . . . much better than gold paint, IMO

If you're going to stay full time with the boomerangs, I'd think about upgrading the swingarm, brakes and forks too - Then you could use the 1100F rotors you have that you prefer the look of . . . . plus the bike would handle and stop much better

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Go with the gold covers instead of the polished look. It will match up better with the wheels, imho.
You would have to get ceramic coating for your exhaust not powder coating, it will not stand up to the heat.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I guess I am personalizing the bike a bit, but there are no mods that can't be reverted back. I'm holding onto every stock piece. As for the exhaust, I'm using Eastwood's high temp powdercoat. I have nothing to lose other than $20 for the powder. My stock exhaust is very rusty and I'll do the powdercoat myself. I'm going for a retromod look since I like the mix of old stock looking bikes with other period parts. I probably wouldn't ride the CBX if I restored it back to complete original. Plus CBXs are not cheap to restore as I am finding out.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Samelak wrote: and I'll do the powdercoat myself. .
Wow. :shock: What kind of oven do you have to fit an exhaust in?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Bump
EMS wrote:[ . I have a 3.5x18 which came as an extra with a CB1100R and I have no idea what it is originally from. I always thought it was from CB1100RD but it is not, according to the specs.
Just found out that this is a rare, really rare competition wheel that supposedly was sold only in Australia as an accessory for the R. Said to be worth quite some money.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”