tires

mikep@kih.net

tires

Post by mikep@kih.net »

My recently acquired 1982 Honda CBX Supersport is in need of tires, sounds easy, but this job is turning into a chore. Part of the problem is my lack of knowledge and part the age of the bike.

Mostly I ride around rural southeastern Kentucky on paved, narrow, curvy roads with occasional interstate trips and would like tires to have a good stable grip. I would like to try a radial tire set.

First size: My manual lists sizes as 3.50V19 (4PR) F &130/90V R. On the bike now are 110/90 19H F & 130/90V R made by Continental. Michelin recommends their Macadam50 (bias ply) at 100/90 V19 F &120/90 V19 R. I read some about the Dunlop G501 on our site but was unable to contact Dunlop directly but will try again this week.

While not a big problem, my height of 5? 5? presents some limits as I can not get both feet flat on the road even with the present tires.

Any suggestions (radial versus bias ---- best tire ---- sizes)? I don?t care much about longevity a better performing tire that wears quickly is better than a lessor performer that wears twice as long.

By the way: Why as a paid up member am I not listed on the website and do not have a user ID and password to our site?

Michael Pavlick

Renfro Valley, Kentucky

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Howdy...

Post by jdeatsch »

Good day and welcome Mike,

It's easy to confuse membership in the ICOA with membership on the board.

The two "registrations" are different.

The ICOA membership entitles you to those benefits and joining the board is a different thing.

You'll need to 'register' on the board. If you look to the upper right, under where it says "The International CBX Owners Association" you'll find a "Register" link. Click on it and go crazy.

hth,

Jim
"Racing improves the breed" - Sochiro Honda

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

I'm hooked on Bridgestone Spitfire S11 100/90-19 front, 130/90-18 rear, and don't mix brands front/rear. And do yourself a favor, regrease w/ Honda moly all the Pro-Link bushings every other year, VERY IMPORTANT! (and VERY MESSY!)
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”