Prolink front tire sizes?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Prolink front tire sizes?

Post by Terry »

Who runs a 100 and who runs a 110? Preferences? Differences?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have a 100/90-19 Bridgestone S11 on my Pro-Link that i am very happy with.
I had a 110/80-18 on gold Boomerangs that i liked even better.
Sorry, no experience with a 110 on the stock 19".

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Can't help either Terry, sorry.... :oops:
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Just wondering. When I got my 82 it already had a 110 on it and after the change to a 100 I did notice better turn in for cornering but with all that extra weight in the front, I thought maybe a 110 might be better. My last (current) front tire cupped a bit this time but I think I was running it with too little air pressure, 34-36psi. On this trip I added some air and that seemed to smooth out the cupping edges but then again, the tire was on its last few miles for this trip so I can't be sure. Have used Pirelli Sport Demons in front on both CBXs in the past but this time I may go with a matching BT45 for the front on the 82. Hope it sticks as well as the Pirelli.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I had a 100/90-19 BT45 on the '80 that had excellent grip and the shelf life of a race tire.
It got squirrely after only 2500 miles. Cupping from incorrect tire pressure was suggested as well. I was skeptical as i had kept after the pressure.
I will buy the BT45 again, just lower my mileage expectations.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

The BT-45's are plenty sticky . . . . at the expense of mileage

I got 4200 miles from the 140/80-17 on the rear of my '79 and I think I probably hurt the mileage a bit by overzealous use of the rear brake (not to mention the throttle) and I kept the pressure constantly between 38 and 40. My front 110/80-18 will need replacing with the next rear change, hopefully after another 5,000 miles. After about 6,000 miles now, the front is wearing perfectly . . . . inflated to 36 PSI and I have made literally hundreds of 'near panic' level stops/slows with two aboard and still no signs of unusual wear

Excellent tires for a CBX if you ride 'sportingly' . . . . just don't expect them to last long

Don

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You can get away with a 110 on a stock Pro-Link because the fender clearance is more, but many 110s on the early models will contact the front fender at speed. I've seen many front fenders ruined using a 110. They make the bike handle like crap also - stick with the stock size if you are running the stock wheels.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prolink front tire sizes?

Post by kbart1 »

i am looking at running sport demons on my stock '81. after reading these posts i will indeed stick to the stock 100 on the front. my question revolves around the rear tire. the pirelli site does not list the exact size that is in the manual etc. they list a 130/80-18 from memory. is this what i should be running? also, would these be bias ply or radials? can we run radials on a pro-link due to the solid wheel??? fyi the tire on it now is a bridgestone spitfire 11R 130/90-18. for some reason i remember my local shop saying i need to run a 140 sport demon on the rear? i'm confused!

thanks
kent

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Kent, i would go with the BT45 130/80-18.
Both the Sport Demon and BT45 are bias-ply and are plenty of tire for the CBX.
I do not like mixing brands and/or bias-ply with radials.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks steve

i will look into the BT45's on both ends.

kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

o.k.

been doing some tire research and am now looking for the definitive answer. here is what i know. i want to run the "V" rated BT45's on both ends. i would like to stay with stock size or as close too as possible. i can get a 100/90-19 for the front, stock size and no problems. here's where it gets dicey. i can get either a 130/80-18 or a 140/80-18 for the rear. my parts guy says the 140 SHOULD fit and have a closer "height" to the stock size. the 130 i have on it now comes pretty close to the brake torque arm now. steve mentioned go with the 130/80 but i am worried about overall tire height with this scenerio. i like the idea of a wider rear tire for appearance but will it fit and how will it handle? that is the million dollar question. any body have any experience here with this issue on the pro-links. i am ready to by and need your help :text-feedback:

thanks!
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

For a 140 rear you will defintely have to work on the torque arm to make it fit.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

great info. thanks but i don't want those issues so it looks like i will be going 130/80-18 on the rear. does anybody see any issues with the difference in overall tire height as it will not be as "tall" as the stocker?

thanks
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

80 profile tires on the rear, especially Pro-Links, can cause the bike to sit too upright on the side stand and be extra hard to put on the center stand. But lots of guys have lived OK with that. However, I'd go with the S-11 tires that DO come in the correct rear 90 profile. They are all the tire you'd ever need on the CBX and are lots cheaper to boot.

Dave

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”