I don't believe it

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

I don't believe it

Post by cbxtacy »

My wife's beemer (R1200R) needs a rear tire. 8,000 miles is all it's good for. She got the bike new in 07. The tool kit doesn't come with the necessary tools to remove the rear tire. I didn't have the necessary ones. Had to visit a tool store for a star socket. Needed a T50 for the rear wheel. And a T45 to loosen up the muffler so I could get the wheel/tire out. I also needed a 15mm for the muffler clamp to header which I had (it was like brand new). I guess BMW expects owners to bring the bike to them.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Good thing you weren't on the road somewhere, but then that's why I carry RVRoadhelp towing insurance. :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

They don't expect you to do a tire change on the side of the road George, or a complete engine strip... :lol: However they due supply a cute little "flat repair" kit... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's funny. Must have been a recent development or change in strategy. My 99 RT still has a tool kit with the wrench to remove the wheel bolts. But mine are 17mm hex bolts.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

EMS wrote:That's funny. Must have been a recent development or change in strategy. My 99 RT still has a tool kit with the wrench to remove the wheel bolts. But mine are 17mm hex bolts.
Right Mike....20 years ao or so when I was a selling my companies apparel at the big BMW rallies .... I thought I remembered seeing BMW tool kits then as complete with far more items than anything I had ever seen before........... True/not true?

Also....8k on rear tire. That is impressive compared to all the bikes I have had for the last 25 years. Please dont tell me people are getting even more mileage on a rear tire :cry:
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Barone #123 wrote: Also....8k on rear tire. That is impressive compared to all the bikes I have had for the last 25 years. Please dont tell me people are getting even more mileage on a rear tire :cry:
:D :D Yes, sorry. :D I got 11,000 miles from a ContiForce on both the front and the rear of my RT. I used to run Metzelers on the BMWs but wanted to try something different due to the strange wear pattern of the Z6.
The ContiForce ZR was cheaper and lasted longer. And this bike is ridden two-up 98%.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

EMS wrote:
Mike Barone #123 wrote: Also....8k on rear tire. That is impressive compared to all the bikes I have had for the last 25 years. Please dont tell me people are getting even more mileage on a rear tire :cry:
:D :D Yes, sorry. :D I got 11,000 miles from a ContiForce on both the front and the rear of my RT. I used to run Metzelers on the BMWs but wanted to try something different due to the strange wear pattern of the Z6.
The ContiForce ZR was cheaper and lasted longer. And this bike is ridden two-up 98%.
Great.....your mileage on tires....made my day. :cry: :lol: :cry:

Until recently I never cared too much about tire mileage, but the cost of some of these new tires is staggering. I was over at our local Honda shop and it looked to me as most pairs of sport bike tires ...180 on back 120 out front ....would run $400 to $500 or more. :face:

Another reason for me to go on a diet.......better tire mileage. :twisted:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The ContiForce was $97.99 for a 120/70ZR17 and $ 115.99 for a 170/60 ZR17 plus $20/wheel for mounting and balancing.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

4150 miles on my X's rear tire - All bald in the center. New one going on this week. $110 delivered for a 140/80-17 BT-45

Don

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and here's the comprehensive tool kit provided by BMW for new BMW R1200R owners-
YOU'RE THE ONE

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

cbxtacy wrote:and here's the comprehensive tool kit provided by BMW for new BMW R1200R owners-
George....this cant be right! That is embarrassing for BMW. You sure someone did not borrow 75% of the tools before you took delivery?

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

EMS wrote:The ContiForce was $97.99 for a 120/70ZR17 and $ 115.99 for a 170/60 ZR17 plus $20/wheel for mounting and balancing.
That's better...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

George, that's not a tool kit, that's a manicure set... :lol:
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

That, and replace the bulbs. But BMW does offer an onboard-tool kit service set. Capable of removing the wheels and changing the oil. For only $270.00. And don't forget the Repair manual CD-ROM which is also available from your BMW Motorrad retailer. Oh wait, Cruz Tools has a tool kit for $130.00. But that is really it for the tools, Mike. Unbelievable, isn't it. I even checked the owners manual to see if anything was missing. It's all there.
Last edited by cbxtacy on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

BMWs never break down George, go in peace... :roll: :lol:
ICOA # 656

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”