Any one here with avon or metzler tire experience

Any one here with avon or metzler tire experience

Post by Guest »

To make a long story short I have a couple GS suzuki`s that use a odd 16 inch front wheel .I have used the michelin madacam 100 on them and my modified cbx. Those have been discontinued and to be honest I`m not really pleased with them on the X. I have to choose between the metzler MEZ2 which is being discontinued also(but I found some fronts finally) and the new avon azaro st av45/46. The metzler is a older looking tire but I know thier reputation. The avon is a just released tire and looks much like the new MEZ4 and the michelin pilot series. If I do go with the metzler I intend on buying several up. Basically what I`m asking is what do you think...I have 0 experience with avons and little with metzler although what I have was very good. I have read where the turn in on the metzler was heavy. I also run a widened wheel on my cbx and radials so i`ll probably get a new set of whatever we decide for it also. BTW I run wider than stock rear wheels and thats the reason for radials on these models...so I can get the wider tires. Thanks for all the help. Chris

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Sorry forgot to log in...I seem to have had a problem with that. 8)

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Try to stick to OEM sizes, and match same brand, front and rear. I had a 1983 Suzuki XN85 TURBO w/ 16" front, usually Metzelers.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Avon Tire

Post by Bill »

Don't have any experience with the tire, but Mike Brown had recommended them a number of times. I don't know if that a reason to buy it or not to buy it! But I just ordered one for the rear. Went up one size to a 130/80-18, we'll see if I made the right decision.

peter chechotko #2662

1979+metzlers

Post by peter chechotko #2662 »

hi guys. I have run only metzlers, on my two 79,s. me55/r 130.80-18metronic ,rear me33/f/110.90-19 lazer front. the front is a little fatter than rec. but just fits. be careful of front ,picking up stones, and rubbing the underside of front tire.. great ride on these. :

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Metz. Tires

Post by Jeff Dean »

I too, have used the ME-55/33 combo on my late model. 2 sets, actually. Verdict: great sport-tour ability, not one slip, slid, or shimmy. Good on rain grooves, confident when wet as well. Proper front wear (no cupping, lumping) Now the bad: Poor mileage. Both rear's are gone by 3500 miles. (ea.) Front would have made it to 5k, maybe more. Now I know what your thinking.... burnouts, wheelies, and such will cause the cord to show. Not here pal, just slightly spirited riding, nothing crazy.

When I shoed the 1st set on, I didn't figure I be adding as many miles as I have. 3500 miles seemed like a lot, when I was just shining and looking. On one of my album pic.s, the title says, "trailer queen no more!" well, 4700 miles in 2 months can dip into the ole' wallet a bit deep.

I WILL be mounting different tires next time.

Any thoughts on hi-mileage rubber would be appreiciated. JJD

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Great Tires for S t o c k CBX Rims......

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

NOTE: THIS TIRE RECOMMENDATION IS FOR STOCK CBX RIMS

Full report will be in a two page feature in this Xpress including two evals by icoa members of the recommended tire

here is mini preview, but if you need the full test to buy tires before the Xpress is mailed I will e it to you. team222@paonline.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

O N L Y THE AVON 130/650VB18 REAR TIRE IS DESIGNED

FOR NARROW REAR RIMS LIKE THE CBX

Well-known British vintage racer John Cronshaw was involved in the development of Avon's newest vintage racing tire that can be mounted on rims as narrow as 2.15 inches. Avon's 130/650VB18 series rear tire the unique inset bead area eases excessive carcass bending on narrow rims while still maintaining a low profile tire, contour and width as if it were mounted on a 3.0 inch (WM5) rim. (Read full details in test on the www per below and sidebar evaluations from ICOA Members in this Xpress Article)

I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS TIRE AND READ FULL TEST http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/avonam22.html

ON THE ROAD

2,900 miles at on the road and one CBX track day at Nelsons a few years ago showed the tire to live up to its reputation on the track, yet also excel on the street during normal, fast and two up riding. Performance in the rain also was very good.

I really liked the look of the extra width (3/4") of this tire on the CBX as compared to any 120 series tires and felt more comfortable that it was designed for narrow rims Vs just stuffing a normal 130 on the CBX narrow rim.

<<<<<<<snip.....see rest of article in the Fall Xpress>>>>>>>>)

mike

E Lee

Tires

Post by E Lee »

I am trying out the Brigstone BT 45 on stock 81 rims.

I switched from the Metzlers to try and get a little/lot more miles, specially that rear which would square off rather quickly. I figure 96% of miles are on center, don't need it to be that soft The 45's are a dual compond tire. Can't say anything about the wet, yet, but a track day did not cause any hint of concern and I had the beast aaaaallllll the way over! I did notice the front was scuffed all the way out to the edge but the rear still had a bit more to go (about 1/4 inch each side - not usable). I could see the softer compound vs the harder center after the session; sides actually "grained" some like a race tire. Hopefully mileage will be good without rear square off, more so the last 4% is there when I need it.

Later,

Ed Lee

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Bridgestones

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi ed

good post and info

i had exactly the same favorable experiences with the dual compound bridgestone non radial sport tires in the 1985-2000 era with my early model (before i put 1100f front and back on and had kosman widen rim to 4.5" so i could mount a 160 on there)

it rains a bit here in the east and i never had any issues with the bridgestones either

i liked the price and i am sure the tires you bought were updated versions of the ones i ran for that 15 period in my cbx life.........

mike

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 1979+metzlers

Post by george g »

peter chechotko #2662 wrote:hi guys. I have run only metzlers, on my two 79,s. me55/r 130.80-18metronic ,rear me33/f/110.90-19 lazer front. the front is a little fatter than rec. but just fits. be careful of front ,picking up stones, and rubbing the underside of front tire.. great ride on these. :

Peter, at the time you wrote this were your rims stock size?
Later!

George.

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tires

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

I received some Metzlers last week for my CBX to replace the 7 year old Chinese off-brand rim protecters that I got from Mike Tuman in 1997. I needed something to replace the original front tire that was cracking and the bald? back tire. He had just bought a CBX that had them on it. At the time I did not need anything fancy or racy. Did not ride the bike more than 1 or 200 miles a year. I asked a man who owns a local Triumph shop,who also road races and has a CBX or 2 about the Metzlers. Guess what he has on his? I have not put them on as yet because of the 2 hurricanes that have hit. Don't need the bike sitting on stands in the garage. Will let everybody know next week. I never have ridden it with modern rubber. Will I fall over at the 1st turn or just plain kick myself for waiting till now?
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tires

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

I received some Metzlers last week for my CBX to replace the 7 year old Chinese off-brand rim protecters that I got from Mike Tuman in 1997. I needed something to replace the original front tire that was cracking and the bald? back tire. He had just bought a CBX that had them on it. At the time I did not need anything fancy or racy. Did not ride the bike more than 1 or 200 miles a year. I asked a man who owns a local Triumph shop,who also road races and has a CBX or 2 about the Metzlers. Guess what he has on his? I have not put them on as yet because of the 2 hurricanes that have hit. Don't need the bike sitting on stands in the garage. Will let everybody know next week. I never have ridden it with modern rubber. Will I fall over at the 1st turn or just plain kick myself for waiting till now?
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Metzler Tires

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Finally got the new tires on after listening to youngest son ask for the 50th time-When do you want me to pull the rims?? He found out how much more fun it is to do the CBX compared to his 750VFR! He is still cussing me.

The bike rides smoother and they really stick around corners. I don't play road racer- too old and bike is irreplaceable- but have found myself rushing turns abit faster.

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

Hi All,

I just put a set of Avon Super Venom's on my 81 but can't tell you to much because of only having a 100 or so miles but they seem to turn in quicker than the Bridgestone dual compounds that were on it before but that's about it, I liked the Bridgestones and they were flattened off pretty well, we'll see how the Venoms hold up.

I also have a set of Dunlop K591's on my 80 and was told to expect 3500 mile life and they are currently at about 6500-7k and will probably go 10k before they are ready for replacement. Handling seems ok but this bike has some issues that way so I'm not going to blame the Dunlops but plans are to update to a late model front and rear and then we'll see about the Dunlops. I will say the when looking for the 81 Dunlop was very proud of their tires and pushed me towards the Avon's, almost bought a set of Maxxis but couldn't get any feedback on them and I didn't want to be the guinea pig for tires. I'll give you some updates on the Venoms as I can.

Steve P.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”