Progressive Suspension Tire Repair Kits

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by John S. (5594) »

If you have ever been stranded with a flat tire (I have) - you will come to appreciate having a tire repair kit along. I have owned a few different types:

The popular BMW repair kit was probably the least convenient. Basically an interconnect tube which threads on the bike's schrader valve on one end - then threads on a CO2 cartridge on the other (simultaneously puncturing the cartridge seal). Once punctured - the contents of the cartridge are fully discharged without control (not necessarily a bad thing really). The cost and, moreover, the ready availability of the threaded cartridges is a consideration.

The greatest advantage of the BMW kit is the very small size - only the threaded cartridges using most of the space (similar to Progressive Suspension's TRC-2). I don't recall the retail price from the local BMW shop - but a ~$26 USD figure comes to mind (I could be way off here).

Progressive Suspension offers a number of tire repair kits for motorcycles - I have two here for comparison - the TRK-2 and new TRK-5.

TRK-2 (Retail Price - $49.95 USD)

Though supplied with three 12-gram CO2 cartridges - the kit is shown here with nine non-threaded cartridges (which is the number I carry). The TRK-2 is a nice package. Basically an Innovations Ultraflate combined with a flexible tube (a must-have to use on many motorcycle wheels) and a patch kit for both tube and tubeless tires in a zippered nylon case. The tubeless repair component consists of three tire plugs - a combination puncture ream/insertion tool and a small tube of vulcanizing cement.

From what I have read - it may take six (or more) 12 gram CO2 cartridges to bring a large rear motorcycle tire up to a pressure high enough for riding to the nearest service station (where the CO2 should be exhausted and replaced with the proper air pressure).

TRK-5 (Retail Price - $65.95 USD)

A relatively new product from Progressive Suspension - the TRK-5 differs from the TRK-2 model by using a threaded 68 gram CO2 cartridge and dedicated machined brass adapter. Like the Innovations Ultraflate - there is a trigger style actuation valve to control the gas flow into the tire (a nice feature on both adapters).

But - unlike the Ultraflate which can accommodate both standard and threaded CO2 cartridges (the latter in sizes greater than 12 grams) - the adapter in the TRK-5 kit can only accept the 68 gram threaded cartridges (Progressive Suspension P/N RC-004 - retail price for a package of two - $29.95 USD).

Both adapters can be attached to either schrader or presta valve stems (the presta without the threaded extension tube attached) - a plus for bicycle riders.

Aside from the 68 gram CO2 cartridge and adapter - the TRK-5 tire repair components (both type and quantity) are the same as those in the TRK-2 kit.

A comparative photo of the two kits - the TRK-5 with the single 68 gram cartridge and the TRK-2 (with nine 12 gram cartridges - 108 grams total):

The TRK-2 so equipped weighs just a bit more and takes up about the same space as the TRK-5.

Getting back to the Innovations Ultraflate adapter used in the TRK-2. As mentioned - it accepts both standard non-threaded CO2 cartridges and threaded versions that can be had in greater volumes. Here is a comparative photo of two 25 gram threaded cartridges and the standard non-threaded 12 gram variety (the latter easy to come by most everywhere):

Note that there is a threaded inflator cartridge available from Innovations called "Big Air" - designed mostly for mountain bike tires which require more gas volume to inflate than typical road bike tires. But beware - these contain a flammable gas and I would not recommend them for motorcycle use (actually - I personally wouldn't use them for any application - just my biased opinion).

Some very important words of caution when using the CO2 cartridges - note that they become very cold when discharging - and that they should always be aligned discharge end upward when inflating the tire (or tube).

Also ? Innovations cartridges include a safety feature - from their site:

"Not all C02 cylinders are the same when it come to reliability and safety. Only Innovations' cylinders feature our unique ?safety seal cap?. The safety seal cap is a special type of seal at the top of the cylinder that is designed to allow the gas to bleed off slowly and safely in the event that that it is exposed to excessively high temperatures. Other cylinders can become over pressurized and rupture when overheated".

Perhaps not a real cause for concern (short of a fire) - but with the small cost premium for the Innovations cartridges ? I carry them anyway.

The bottom-line?

I believe the Progressive Suspension TRK-2 - packed with six extra 12 gram CO2 cartridges - is probably the best motorcycle tire repair kit to carry while riding (less costly and much more adaptive than the TRK-5). Remember ? these are just my own opinions (standard disclaimer lingo).

The links to both Innovations and Progressive Suspension's tire inflation and repair pages:

http://www.innovationsaz.com/INmain.asp ... gory=power

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ti ... -kits.html

And the questions of how far or how fast to ride on tires with a roadside repair are beyond the scope of this little review.

All the best and ride safely,

John S. (ICOA 5594)
gigaflop@pacbell.net
Last edited by John S. (5594) on Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Flat Tire

Post by EMS »

Hey John: Are you saying, you don't have a service truck following behind you, when you ride? :wink:

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Roadside Assistance - HRCA Membership

Post by John S. (5594) »

Actually EMS - I do belong to the Honda Rider's Club of America (HRCA). Though I have not used their roadside assistance services - I understand from other riders that these folks can be very helpful. If I could not make the necessary roadside repairs - a flat tow should not take too long for them to arrange.

For the automobiles - I have other roadside assistance services - some of which can also be used for the motorbikes. But for me - the HRCA has some other benefits that make membership well worth the price of admission. Same goes for the AMA - and the ICOA too I suppose :)

Cheers,

John
San Jose, California

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Good review John. I have a bmw but do like the kit you have shown. Thanks!!

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”