Cupped front tire

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Cupped front tire

Post by broook »

Would it be better to add a couple of pounds of air pressure or reduce air pressure to avoid "cupping" the front tire?
I usually run solo and run a Bridgstone Spitfire at about 34lbs. :?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I've heard that adding air may cure the problem. My GT501 is beginning to cup and I run 36 in it. I'm also going to exchange my fork oil and go up to maybe 20w oil.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Cupping

Post by EMS »

Increasing the air pressure means decreasing the crown radius of your tire, means more and faster wear in the center, maybe less cupping. Fork maintenance is more important and effective. Make sure bearings, oil and alignment is O.K. Add fork brace.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Bob, I use 40psi in all tires and have never had cupping or bad wear on any.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

cupped tire

Post by broook »

:D Thanks for reply guys.
I rebuilt the forks last year and added a fork brace so the next thing is to try 40lbs air pressure. Seems a bit high but it works for Ripper.
I rode his 80 for a couple of thousand miles in Marlinton last year and it handled as good as can be expected for the early model. :D

Thanks,

Bob

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Bob I have a BMW K1200LT which cups tires badly unless I run at least 46-48 pounds of pressure. I think higher presure is the cure also. Hope to see you at marlinton this year.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tire Pressure

Post by EMS »

Quite frankly, guys, I am cringing. :roll: I hope you are all aware of what an overinflated tire can do, especially when you lean your bike over and roll on the throttle. Anybody out there running 60 PSI???

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”