Fitting CB1100 wheels on a Z

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Fitting CB1100 wheels on a Z

Post by Des Brown »

I have just got some gold boomerang wheels to fit on my cbx.

What I want to know,front,would there be any speedo difference with the wheel being 18in.

Rear, would there be much gearing difference with it being 17in and what max tyre size could I use, rim size is 2.75x17,(pos a 140) I have a metamax swinging arm and I will be modifying the calliper brace so space is no problem.

Thank for any replies

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Des, I run on 18 inch DYMAGS & the calculated error is about + 3.5%. Add that to the factory error & your looking at a reading approximately 5% high. As for wide rear tyres, the real limitation (apart from rear end hardware) is the width of the front tyre, which is limited by the front mudguard bolts. If you go too wide in relation to your front tyre you will get a disconcerting falling in feeling, when entering corners.

Phat rear tyres look cool but in reality are detrimental to handling for aformentioned reasons..

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

As far as the gearing is concerned, it will depend on what tire you are using. Together with the aspect ratio, the tire width will determine the actual diameter of the rear wheel, which, in the end, may not differ too much from the stock 18 incher.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

And other problems that make the conversion a detriment to handling is the ground clearance. You lose a considerable amount.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Fitting CB1100 wheels on a Z

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Des Brown wrote:I have just got some gold boomerang wheels to fit on my cbx.

What I want to know,front,would there be any speedo difference with the wheel being 18in.

Rear, would there be much gearing difference with it being 17in and what max tyre size could I use, rim size is 2.75x17,(pos a 140) I have a metamax swinging arm and I will be modifying the calliper brace so space is no problem.

Thank for any replies

Hi Des

Sorry I missed this but my recommendation is to use this site as a reference for tire circumferences, widths and other info

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/media/metzeler_2006.pdf

The speedo error formula using below should be as follows.

Stock Tire Diameter (100x90x19)= 686 mm

New Tire Diameter (110x90x18)= 657 mm

Speedo Error = (686-657) / 686 or 4.2% so if your CBX speedo was accurate at 60mph.....with new 110x90x18 at a real speed of 60mph your speedo would read near 63mph

Same formula applies to calculating RPM differences with the back tire

I have an 1100f rim on the back of my 80 that Kosman widened to 4.5" and it is a very big diff in gearing. I liken it to the poor mans 1170 kit if you will but you pay to play as top speed is cut down by same % in rear wheel calc

Best and welcome to our line

Mike

Hope this helps

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

Will do Mike.

Des.
WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Fitting CB1100 wheels on a Z

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Des Brown wrote:I have just got some gold boomerang wheels to fit on my cbx.

Thank for any replies

Hi Des

Sorry to say I forgot to tell you there is an ongoing post about these rims you might want to check out. I suspect you have seen it, but just in case here it is

viewtopic.php?t=2259
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”