Tire choice question

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tire choice question

Post by ksquared »

I have 120/90-18 Bridgestone Spitfire date 2812 on rear and 100/90-19 Bridgestone Spitfire date 4012 on front. I picked up a nail in the rear recently which is about 3/4 inch from center. I might be able to get it patched but I'm thinking it would be wise to replace it. I rarely go past 85 and mostly ride city streets. My replacement choices are:
1. Bridgestone Spitfire S11
2. Avon AM26 Roadrider
3. Shinko 230 Tour Master
btw - at 2lbs of air, the tire doesn't look all that flat. Probably old & hard.
Are my choices poor? btw I have no problem replacing the front to match.
tire nail_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 CBX - 75 CB400F - 71 SL350 - 07 Buell XB9R - 03 Harley V-Rod

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tire choice question

Post by NobleHops »

They are 9 years old and so I would not roadrace them, but as long as they are not cracking on the sidewalls nor cupped or squared-off, I’d consider a patch and leaving them be. That said, I replaced a similarly old set of S11 with a fresh set of the Shinkos and the bike was much sweeter handling.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

FYI - you have to search long and hard to find a new set of Bridgestones and they will be date coded a couple of years ago at least. Shinkos are a great choice.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

+1 on the Shinko's.

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

That can be plugged....

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

Ok so I'm about ready to order some Shinkos. Will go with 100/90-19 Tour Master 230 on front. Question is can I go with 130/90-18 on the rear or will that size be too big. In other words stick with 120/90-18 for the rear? According to Shinko the 130 is 0.39 inches wider which amounts to 0.195 inches either side of center line. Am I asking for trouble?

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

I’m not sure I’d trust any 9 year old tire for use as to the hardness of it and grip it would provide in any slippery condition regardless of tread,don’t ask me how I know
Mfgs say tire life is 5-7 years

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You will be fine with the 130.

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

Artie, I'm a wuss when it comes to slippery conditions. I don't ride in the rain but I do like good dry handling. I rode home from a bike show on the CBX a while back. When I left, a guy said my rear tire looked low. On the ride it felt a bit wrong so I rode very conservatively. I measured it when I got home and it was at 2 lbs. It didn't look all that flat. I let all the air out and it still held its shape. Kinda tells me the rubber is hard. I remember changing the 20 year old tires on my CB400F after I bought it. It made a huge improvement. I'm reasonably happy with my CBX but who knows how much better it could be?
Steve, thanks for the 130 info. One of my other bikes is a Buell XB9R with a 180/55 ZR 17 on the rear. The big meat look is addictive.

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

You’re not talking much of a contact patch with motorcycle tires soft pliable rubber and grip is very important ..duh
Dig your thumbnail or press on tread with screwdriver of new tire vs 5-6 year old tire
My front tire a 6 year old Dunlop 3115 (2015) made installed 2018 has 3000 miles with fine tread but feels hard like a hockey puck compared to new new Shinko Tourmaster waiting TBI
NEVER again will use tires older than 5 years again don’t ask me how I know

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

While at the Wisconsin Uplands Tour in June, we were tire kicking and someone noticed a badly cracked tire on the front of a bike. Owner said he'd just bought and installed it recently. Date code as sometime in 2015. Bought from a major tire distributor.

That said, not all tire brands are created equal. I've run some tires many years beyond where most folks would toss them. Others don't fare so well.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Does Avon still make vintage tires? once upon a time they made a tire with a wider footprint for narrow rims

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Any of the online major vendors say that they can sell you a tire up to 5 years old but all said that I could return if I was getting any tire and not happy with date of mfg who wants to buy old tires buyer beware
Just bought Shinko Tourmasters from J&P Cycles 2020 and 2021 mfg date keepers not just got to spoon them on

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As mentioned above, if the sidewalls are good, I would patch with your type of riding. Would NOT plug it, though. Plugs are best, IMHO, as a band-aid to get to either a patch or replacement. One other tire brand to consider is Kenda. Good overall handling and wet grip.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

I can't find any shop that will patch a motorcycle tire. Liability issue. Guess it's time for new shoes :-)

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”