Available tires for 1980 CBX in 2020

Benny Edward
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Available tires for 1980 CBX in 2020

Post by Benny Edward »

My big CBX project has turned into a huge CBX project. But that's for another thread lol. My dad restored the bike back in 1997, and I'm pretty sure the bike got 1 new tire then and kept the other from the previous owner because they are not a matched set. Metzler on front, Bridgestone on back. Anyhow, I think the tires are over 23 years old with plenty of tread as I've only put less than 3000 miles on the bike in that time. I'd say it's time. Incredible though they aren't cracked or showing age other than they are getting hard. Anyhow, I'm having difficulty finding a matching set of bias tires that are both in stock for it in these strange covid ridden times. Anyone have advice on sourcing a set? I usually buy tires from rockymountainatvmc.com.
After searching CBXclub
it seems the BT45s are the recommended tires for good grip. There is an H rated front in the correct size, but not a v rated. However, The 100/90-19 on rockymountain says it's a tube type tire. Also, it's the only size for that model that says tube type. What the heck? But it is available. No h or v rated rear tire is available in the correct size 120/90-18 for a BT45.
What are me choices for a matching set of bias tires in the correct size?
Can I just switch to radials? Is there any harm in running radials on a stock CBX? Would that change it's characteristics in roadhandling in a noticeable way?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Available tires for 1980 CBX in 2020

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Shinko Tourmaster 230.
You could go to 130 on the rear without any adverse handling effects.

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:30 pm
Shinko Tourmaster 230.
You could go to 130 on the rear without any adverse handling effects.
It seems to me that this is a harder tire with higher mileage in mind. They say it takes 1000miles to break in these tires. I'm more looking for a softer, grippier tire. I don't know if I'd be putting on anything over 500 miles a year, but we'll see what happens when I get thru this project.

Hoping someone can comment on the bias vs radials issue for A stock CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You might find the Bridgestone BT45 in stock somewhere in the correct size, but the Shinkos are readily available and more and more good reports are coming out from CBXers. They'll do anything you would ever want to do on a CBX and are infinitely better than anything you could buy for a CBX back in the day. Oh, stick with the 120 size on the rear.

Dave

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

daves79x wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 am
You might find the Bridgestone BT45 in stock somewhere in the correct size, but the Shinkos are readily available and more and more good reports are coming out from CBXers. They'll do anything you would ever want to do on a CBX and are infinitely better than anything you could buy for a CBX back in the day. Oh, stick with the 120 size on the rear.

Dave
Could not find BT45's in the correct size anywhere. Finding a matching set of anything has proven difficult. I found a front and rear Metzler but each from different vendors, and they were expensive. A set of Pirelli MT66 tires can be had from BikeBandit is about all I could find other than the shenko's recommended here. The shanko's are available in the correct size as you said they'd be so I ordered those from BikeBandit as per the recommendations here. The set was $150 for both tires including tax and no shipping charge so how the heck can you beat that?
I have no experience ordering from BikeBandit, but I'm sure they are good. I usually buy my other bike tires from RockymountainATVMC.com, and I just bought a new Pirelli Angel GT A Spec tire for my 2015 Kawasaki concours. 190/55ZR 19 was $195.49 with IL tax, funny how this one tire is a third more expensive than the set of 2 for my CBX. Haven't paid that little for tires for a bike in a long long time. Anyhow, thanks for the advice fellas. Hope they work out well. Anything will be better than the rubber I was using on it that was getting harder than a teenage d!#& on prom night lol. I will post my project progress status on my older thread. Thanks again

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I just put a set of Shinkos on a '79 that I got from Bike Bandit. Dennis Kirk is also a good source. I also have the Shinkos on my personal '79. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dave

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”