Where does this go???

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Where does this go???

Post by Bill Kemp »

I have taken the rear wheel off my 1980 Honda CBX and installed a new tire. When I was removing the wheel I pulled the long bolt out and spacer/bushing fell to the floor and I cannot figure out where it goes.

I think it goes somewhere by the rear brake caliper mount but am not positive. I want to ensure things are correctly installed.

I have looked at all the service manuals and parts diagrams on the internet with no luck.

Here are a couple of photos of the part.

Appreciate any help

Bill Kemp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Where does this go???

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

In the stock schematic part #8 is the wheel collar.
Could it be with the Lester rims on your bike this is the replacement?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... rear-wheel

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

I figured it out.

It goes on the chain drive side.

It goes between part number 1 and part number 7. It is the only way that my tire is centered and allows for the brake caliper holder to fit nicely over the rear brake rotor.

Here are some pictures

At first I thought it went between the brake caliper holder and the right swing arm area. That did not work as the brake caliper holder would not line up with the rotor

Then I though it went on the other side of the brake caliper holder but that was worse

Then I put just the caliper on the frame of the bike to see where it needed to line up with the rotor. Once that was done I could see that the tire needed a spacer on the chain drive side to center it between the swing arm legs.

The power of deduction I guess.

However

If someone know better please feel free to help me out.

Bill

Ps. Perhaps this might be an extra spacer for the Lester wheel and that is why it is not shown in any parts diagram. Just guessing though.

I should have taken pictures before I took it all apart like I normally do 😩😩😩

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Tomorrow I might see if I can take some measurements of the distance from the center of the hub to the inside of each swing arm leg to see if the wheel is perfectly centered between the swing arm legs.

That way I can be sure it is all correct.

It is getting late now in Toronto but at least the wheel is on and I can move the bike around in the garage and get it out if the way for my wife.

Bill

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That has to be a Lester part, it is for sure not stock CBX. The Lester hub must be narrower.

Dave

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Do you know if there is any washer or spacer that goes on the very far right side (brake side) between the black caliper mount and the chrome chain adjuster. In all the diagrams I see it never shows the whole brake caliper and wheel assembly installed together.

They show them separately but not together. I would like to know if the black caliper mount touches the chrome chain adjuster or is there a washer installed in between.

Can you post a picture of this area on your bike please for me to see as tyatbwould be very helpful.

Thanks

Bill

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No washer there. Spool spacer on the left, top hat spacer on the right, caliper hanger and chain adjusters. That's it. But you have the additional Lester (apparently) spacer, so it's hard to know what is correct for your set-up.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

When I remember to do so I find it helpful to taking pictures during the disassembly procedure to be invaluable.

Often when I take something apart I find some part needs replacing which usually requires time to acquire, by the time it arrives I've forgotten what goes where and in what order.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”