Tank stripe application

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tank stripe application

Post by Terry »

I finally found some original lower stripes for my silver tank (in sealed containers no less) and in perfect condition. The silver sides of the tank had been repainted sometime around 3-4 years ago and the super sport decals and the lower stripes were never replaced. I now have the decals and the stripes. First of all, is it worth it w/o applying a clear coat over them? Either way, how do I prep the tank? I've used Plexus and Mother's polish on it. Last, am I good enough to apply these stripes w/o breaking one? I (do) have some experience (on old model cars) but they were very small and I was very young...
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi terry

i have never seen cbx oem tank stripes but if they are vinyl with peel off brown gloss paper then and a sticky back..... there is a procedure where you apply soapy water to the tank....peel the backing off ...then float the stripe on the soapy film to exactly where you want it on the tank

after you have stripe where you want......then you take a sponge and pass this gently over the stripe to squeeze all the soapy water and air bubbles from under the stripes

when it dries it will be stuck on there just like if you applied it without the soapy water and by doing it this way you dont have to get it exactly right the first time which it sounded like in your post you were of afraid of trying....dont blame you btw

i did this a couple of times so anyone can. you can get some scrap vinyl from a sign shop to practice on something besides your tank....maybe your car...ha ha.

if you want more details on this you can stop over to any vinyl sign shop and they can help or few a few bucks maybe even do it for you

i also know a member who paints cbx tanks/stuff who you can call if you want. e me on this

let us know how it all turns out

mike

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks for the reply Mike. I (think) they're water transfer decals just like the ones on my old model cars. They came curled up in sealed round canisters with plastic lids and one stripe in each can. I don't think they have a sticky side to them (until) the backing has been removed? The Super Sport decals are the sticky back kind and I doubt they are originals although they look the same. I'll email you (at home as my office PC for some reason doesn't allow emails thru this site) for some more info. Thanks. Terry

Post by Guest »

hi terry

i dont think what i said works for these kind of transers but dont know

it might still work out if you can slide them around a bit on the water vs having to get it right first time....but these stripes are realllly long which i am sure is what is worrying you

i got a set of old road race yamaha road race logo tank transfers like you have long ago....looked great until i put them in the water...then they fell off the transfer in a hundred small pieces.

they were cracked due to age i guess....but this was not visible while they were on the transfer

lets hope you do lots better

mike

jerry

OEM stripes

Post by jerry »

Terry,

The original decals were intended for professional spray shops. The chemical that is used to detach the decal from the backing is only available in industrial quantities. I believe that it is a type of methanol. If you want to replace the decals, then use aftermarket vinyl ones that you can buy from places like Sunrise Graphics. He does all the decals for the silver and red Xs. They need to be protected by a two pack clear coat.

Cheers, Jerry

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

thanks jerry

sunrise graphic email address and info are listed in another topic in this restoration category

mike

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks again. I'll look into finding a shop locally as I'd like to use the originals I already have.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”