79 CBX with reproduction original exhaust

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 CBX with reproduction original exhaust

Post by ajs350 »

I'm looking at a 79 cbx to restore over the winter and trying to figure out whether to include the cost of $1500 on a reproduction exhaust or leave the existing almost new 6 into 1 exhaust on the bike. My question is if I spend the $1500 on the reproduction orginal exhaust will I get it back when I sell the bike?
Thanks
Ross.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX with reproduction original exhaust

Post by NobleHops »

I ought to leave this to Dave and Mike, but I'll bite. I'd say "No way, not even close" If your existing pipe is nice, I don't think it will negatively affect the value, unless all along you've been doing a stickler original resto. UNLESS it's something that is poorly regarded, like a MAC system. For sure, some folks will want the stock cans (or repros), but many prefer more sound as is typical with a 6:1. Just MHO.

Ross, are you building this bike for resale, or just looking down the road?

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

If I could somehow trade my DG 6-1 even for a nice stock exhaust system I'd sell the stock exhaust, buy another DG 6-1, and pocket the profit. :)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

OK, what?

Ross is talking repro exhaust, not stock. He's also talking value on resale.

What's your point?

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I would agree with Nils. I don't think the value of the bike will increase by $1,500.- if it had a repro exhaust vs a 6-1. While the original exhaust is definitely desirable and increases the bike's value, that increase depends a lot on the overall condition of the bike and the price range we are looking at. A bike that would be considered worth $8,500.- with a 6-1, could be worth maybe $9,000.- or slightly above with a repro original. A bike that would be considered worth $12,000.- with a 6-1 (unlikely) could probably be $13,500.- with a repro original. And a bike that is in the $5,000 range will not go up by $1,500 if a repro exhaust is installed. Then again, like Nils said, it also depends on how desirable the 6-1 is. (A Schuele may be worth more than an original, non-repro, exhaust) It also matters if the repro is a Delkevic or a Sankei. I think the Sankei would represent the better investment. In any case, do not attempt to recover your money if you restore a bike. Only those who do a half-ass job and cut corners will make money on a resto.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks for the replies as they have certainly clarified the situation for me.

Nils
My plan is to have a project for the winter but if a good CBX sells for $7500 on ebay I have been struggling to find a bike which when I add the cost of parts to the original purchase price comes below that number hence the question "Do I really need a reproduction stock exhaust in my budget?" as this is the biggest expense. It would seem not.

At the end of it I would have to sell the 80 I already have or the 79. I can't keep collecting them!

To that end I don't want to loose a bundle on it. As EMS mentions this is hard to achive if you are doing everything right. I know with my 80 I spent way more than I thought I would to get it right. I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:Only those who do a half-ass job and cut corners will make money on a resto.
Testify brother! Can I get a witness?

:P

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote:
EMS wrote:Only those who do a half-ass job and cut corners will make money on a resto.
Testify brother! Can I get a witness?

:P

N.

I am not sure what I'm supposed to do.. :think: :?: :?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I suppose I can add my two cents. On any kind of extensive restoration, I've had upwards of 200-250 hours of labor. Buying a project in the $1500 range would be my usual starting point. So if my labor is worth $30 an hour or so, and I need to buy lots of parts to complete the project, do the math and you'll see that you just barely make wages on a $7500-$9000 bike. And it had better be a pretty nice bike to fetch that. I like doing it (most of the time), and have a stash of parts to help the effort, but if making more than wages is your goal with a restoration, it isn't there. But if putting another CBX back on the road with a labor of love for the effort is your goal, and you aren't losing money at it, or you are doing it as a personal bike to keep, then I think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

For those of you that have successfully completed restorations, you know that it's a beautiful thing when you're done.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's exactly what I wanted to say. 8) If you are in it to make money, you can not do a thorough enough job. It just doesn't pay that much.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Agreed.

Fun, entertainment and camaraderie is what it is all about for me. I have no intentions of selling either my CBX or 900F. Ride 'em hard and enjoy.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Exactly. That's why I like a 6-1 instead of the two-ton original setup. :)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It occurs to me that we aren't really helping Ross out a lot here. I don't think his intention is to just 'flop' a CBX, but put some measure of his 'soul', if you will, into the restoration. He's done a great job on his '80, one that anyone would be proud to own. Bikes that have this level of passion bestowed on them always seem to turn out better than an 'assembly line' restoration. Selling such a bike after completion can in some measure reward you for your efforts and give someone without the means and skill to do that a special CBX to enjoy. Recouping your costs and a bit more is the tangible reward.

All that to say this, in answer to Ross' original question: If a bike can be valued in the over-$8000 range, and is close to stock, it had better have a stock (or repro) exhaust. Lots of very nice customs sell in this range or more, and have aftermarket exhaust, but that's a different category. No, you will not specifically recover all of your investment in just the exhaust, but it will be what makes the bike sell in that range. Lots of other factors play into the value obviously, but that has been my experience. Just a few more random thoughts to probably confuse you even more and make your decision harder, Ross.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Dave, you are right. I'm not looking to make any kind of profit here. I consider my time free but do want to cover the cost of the bike and parts should I wish to sell it later. Truth is I enjoy working on old bikes as much as I do riding them so bringing an old clunker back to life gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
From what I've learned here I think I'll continue to include the price of a stock/repro exhaust as I look at what needs to be done to any future bike.
Ross

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I agree that there's little money to be made . . . . probably next to none if you keep close track of all your hours and you don't have an extensive parts stash to pick from - If you kept close track of the current value of every item you take from your stash (like you would have to if you bought them as needed) then you may well be working for nearly free by the time you're finished

As to the exhaust question. The 'value' of various pipes is completely dependant on the likes or dislikes of the prospective buyer - Some would be happier with the 6 into 1 than a nice stock exhaust, so the value of it would be near zero . . . . you wouldn't gain a penny if you're selling to someone like that. What a nice stock exhaust (or a reproduction) gives you is the ability to sell your completed project to lots more buyers, so no question the bike is more 'valuable' than it would be with the 6 into 1 - Many buyers would have to knock off the price of replacing the 6 into 1 with something they'd prefer, so they'll all be offering you less . . . . unless you get really lucky and stumble onto one of those few who prefer CBX's with the lopsided look :twocents-02cents:

If YOU like the look, keep what you have - The worst that can happen is someone will offer you $1500 less . . . . and that's what you would have spent if you had corrected the problem yourself, so nothing lost - Besides, if you make it TOO nice, you may not want to sell it at all and then you're 'lost' everything :doh:

Don

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”