Engine removal advice needed

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine removal advice needed

Post by Samelak »

I'm getting ready to pull theengine for the first time to paint. Does anyone have any pointers, advice, or order of removal to share? Any help would be appreciated.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine removal advice needed

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Tilted the engine too many times to remember but never removed one.
Lee, that is a winter time project...oh yeah, i forgot.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine removal advice needed

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:I'm getting ready to pull theengine for the first time to paint. Does anyone have any pointers, advice, or order of removal to share? Any help would be appreciated.
Hey Lee,

The manual is pretty damn good on this topic as I recall, but I'll reinforce a coupla items, as I remember it. I hesitated to answer only because others are so much more experienced than me, but here goes:

I'd drain the (warmed up) oil really well overnight, and remove the oil filter housing, just for the sake of more clearance. If you use straps this is less important. Tilt the engine before removing it to get the last of the oil to drain out the front. Get some rubber stoppers if you can find them for the oil hose inlets. When I reinstalled my engine I worked out a way to hoist it gently and controllably with cam straps, and if I remove the engine again I''ll likely use this method in reverse. By doing it with straps and not a jack you do not have to fumble with a (tippy) jack that you then need to immediately get the engine off of to then get it onto a dolly anyway. (writing is hard today)

I recall I had a bitch of a time getting the upper rear engine bolt out and had to beat it useless to get it out.

Remove your front fender.

Loosen the front engine hanger bolt to free up the oil cooler before you disconnect the oil cooler lines from the engine, and then you can remove the cooler and lines together quickly when you do disconnect the oil fittings and not make a mess with them as they drain.

That's all I can think of in terms of tips. I'm certain others with more experience will chime in.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”