paint colors

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

paint colors

Post by ahlenius1 »

Hi i need some advise on paint colors for the following Front Forks, Frame, handle bar metal,handle bar switches +the orange,Battery box,restoring inst cluster luster, Air box ,&collector (topsides are bad!)swing arm etc.
The bike is not bad, frame paint wise just needs a little touch up here and there, especially around the seat any help would be appreciated Thanks

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: paint colors

Post by ahlenius1 »

Sorry and also brake Calipers!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Anthony,

I think then answer depends somewhat on what you aspire to with the bike. If it's a 100-point restoration, then ignore anything I did.

Almost all of the following were a (not super high) gloss black, and I had them all powdercoated: Frame, handlebars, battery box, swingarm, perches.

Switch pods were done with SEM trim paint. There is a post on restoring those in 'restorations', including the exact paint. The orange color is referenced in that post too, along with a good technique to apply it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6395

Airbox was done with SEM Flexible bumper coating, preceded by their adhesion promoter. Likewise the turnsignal housings, and rear fenders.

Tim's did my instruments, but I'd use the SEM trim paint if I was going to do them myself.

I powdercoated my calipers and M/C and I would not do it again. It didn't like brake cleaner, and it was chemically etched before powdering, and the M/C would not seal thereafter, and had to be sleeved for $100. There is special caliper paint, I personally would use that if I had it to do over. I have seen reference to that too, do a search on 'caliper paint' and I bet you find it.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Thanks Nils the frame is pretty good I pressure washed it today and scrubbed it with simple green there are just a few scratches in the seat area. What kind of paint should i use to touch these areas up? i will remove the battery box and have that powder coated but, the handle bars and the switches are very faded, as are the front forks after a good pressure washing.So insaying this What will be a good match for the frame? And the front forks? thanks for the info on the Airbox etc. And especially thanks for the info.By the way my Alternator cover still Shines like nobody's business Enjoy Anthony

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't know how you plan to paint, but Eastwood has a Chassis black that comes in rattle cans and works great on the frame.

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

F.W.I.W.

I used Eastwood products on my recent rebuild . . . . . awesome stuff :!:

Bob
Last edited by zxbob on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You might try searching th archives for Pete Rose's restoration article (it's a 2-part article in 2 consecutive Xpress'). or Google 'digital pizza' and you will find it on Pete's website. Lots of good info there on cleaners and paint that he used.

Dave

C2CDan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: paint colors - Original 1980 Black

Post by C2CDan »

For the Marysville '80s in black, was there a special color or additive, or was it just "gloss black" ?
Thanks, guys.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”