Cracked Rear Cowl

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Cracked Rear Cowl

Post by Samelak »

My 80 rear cowl has 3/4 inch crack coming in from the edge of the duck tail. Has anyone repaired original CBX plastic? The ends are also offset from each other. Can I "relax" the plastic with a heat gun to better line the edge of the crack up? What should I use to bond the crack together? I was thinking 2-part epoxy. I'm supposed to be getting a full paint next month and want to fix the crack prior. Any help is appreciated.

Lee

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cracked Rear Cowl

Post by NobleHops »

Lee,

I've not used this myself but I know other people swear by it: http://www.plastex.net/index.php?pr=Product_Info I'd be tempted to lay a few strips of fiberglass mat under the completed repair though.

There was another thread recently about aftermarket replacement tailsections, in the '79 style without the hatch. Given that you're going the 'paint it' route anyway, I'd personally be sorely tempted to salt that original away and get one of those, but it kind-of depends on your ambitions and budget. (Did I really just say 'budget' to a guy restoring a CBX?)

Here's a link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6645

If you do opt to repair it, can I ask you to photograph the process and post it?

N.

P.S. Depending on who is painting it, you might find that a repair like this is trivial to them, and less money and trouble than doing it yourself...
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Cracked Rear Cowl

Post by ericfreeman »

I've successfully repaired two cracked cowls using epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. Just make sure you clean and scuff the surface the fiberglass will be adhering to. On one cowl, when I was done repairing the crack, I filled the area under the edge with a high density filler to prevent future cracking if someone grabs the edge of the cowl when moving the bike.

Eric

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”