Restoring a CBX Horn

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Restoring a CBX Horn

Post by Samelak »

Has anyone ever pulled a CBX horn completely apart for restoration? I would like to, but I don't want to destroy it. They look to be riveted in the middle. Any info on the process is appreciated.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

OK... On the inside you have a coil & a contact. With power on, the coil drives a diaphragm forward which breaks the contact. The diaphragm (mounted to a laminated steel core) springs back to make the contact. The coil is then energised which drives the diaphragm forward again & it continues on & on until the neighbors call the police...

No repairable parts within...Unless you are very skilled or lucky...
ICOA # 656

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

When you get it apart there is a set of contacts that can be cleaned like a set of points. I used a points file. That brought it back to life. If that don't work its probably ready for the trash.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Dave Hansen wrote:When you get it apart there is a set of contacts that can be cleaned like a set of points. I used a points file. That brought it back to life. If that don't work its probably ready for the trash.
Is this as simple as drilling the rivet to get it apart then? Mine's feeble too...

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

Its been awhile but I think I just pulled the six small phillips head screws around the outside of the front. Don't think I did anything with the rivet in the back.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”