Anyone need a master cylinder rebuilt?

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Anyone need a master cylinder rebuilt?

Post by bdento59 »

If you're like me, you like to restore parts at your leisure and do it in your own workshop w/o having to send specialty work out. Well, recently I found a great product to restore painted parts that eliminates the need to send stuff out to the powdercoater. I've also developed a technique to polish m/c bores that'll ensure you have a nice firm lever when you're finished.

Anyway, I'd like to do a tech article on these techniques and products for the CBXpress, and to do that, I'll need a master cylinder for the photo shoot. If anyone has a front (or rear) m/c that they'd like rebuilt and restored, pls PM me. If you send me a rebuild kit (and reservoir kit if you're putting one in) along with the m/c, I'll do a complete rebuild/restore for you in exchange for letting me use your part as my "model". I'll even upgrade the 4mm bolts in the reservoir kit to SS buttonheads as an additional small thank you gift.

The paint product I found is designed for use on gun receivers, barrels and other metal parts, so it is impervious to the aggressive cleaning solvents used to remove lead and copper deposits. As such, it is also a perfect candidate for use around glycols like brake fluid and also gasoline and oil. I used it with great results on my own front m/c recently (some of you may have seen it at St. Clairsville last week) and am anxious to share my discoveries.

Anyhow, TIA for the donor m/c. You will love the results, I gar-un-teee!
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm sure both my 79 and 82 MC's could benefit from a good rebuild but I have no extra ones to use while I send you mine...good offer though!
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

I've got a spare '79 MC that I've stripped down for rebuilding but haven't gotten around to it yet. Complete with seal kit and new reservoir kit as well. Let me know if you want it for your article and I'll send it out.

Eric

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

ericfreeman wrote:I've got a spare '79 MC that I've stripped down for rebuilding but haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know if you want it for your article and I'll send it out.
Eric,

Sounds good, I'll PM you my shipping address.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Is there any news or status about this project?

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Bill,

I am also curious if the refinishing would work on calipers.

Aren't the calipers the same finish as the master cylinder?

Steve

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

Jim-Jim wrote:Is there any news or status about this project?
I was recently wondering the same thing, since it's my master cylinder Bill has! He replied to my query that the weather in PA has been too hot to do much in the workshop, i.e. media blasting the old finish off and applying the new coating. Expect some progress as the hot weather disappears soon.

I'd imagine the same process would work fine for the calipers as well.

Eric

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

ericfreeman wrote:I'd imagine the same process would work fine for the calipers as well. Eric
Sorry guys, when it rains, it pours, just haven't been able to spend any time in the workshop as of late, due to other Sh*t like work, school, family issues (terminally ill in-law), and now a back injury that has had me more horizontal than vertical as of late. I hope to make some progress in the very near future.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

bdento59 wrote:
ericfreeman wrote:I'd imagine the same process would work fine for the calipers as well. Eric
Sorry guys, when it rains, it pours, just haven't been able to spend any time in the workshop as of late, due to other Sh*t like work, school, family issues (terminally ill in-law), and now a back injury that has had me more horizontal than vertical as of late. I hope to make some progress in the very near future.
Hey, reviving this thread for a moment, what was the magic product you were intending to try. Was it GunKote by any chance? Has anyone tried that on a master cylinder or caliper?

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SIXHI
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Anyone need a master cylinder rebuilt?

Post by SIXHI »

Guys, I'm looking for rebuilt master cylinders (both front and rear) and slave cylinders for an '80. These will be on an exchange basis, powdercoat would be nice, but rattle can gloss black is OK. Who is rebuilding brakes these days?

If pucks/rotor components can be included in the deal that makes it much simpler. I have all the core parts.

Need a similar set done for an 81 after the early model units are complete. These don't need to be show parts or race-ready performance, just functional/not leaking units for street bikes.

Thanks--

Reply on this forum or faster response from jonb@lava.net
XRacer

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”