Restoring Plastic

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Restoring Plastic

Post by CBXzREG »

I'm trying to freshen up sun faded plastic instrument bodies and indicator stalks. And the air filter box is looking very bleached!

Someone once advised using autosol but that didnt work. Does anyone have any idea or magic potions as would prefer not to disassemble and spray - need to ride the bike.... Thanks.
Ride safe, Richard

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Black Stuff

Post by EMS »

There is an auto product called "Black Chrome". Don't know off-hand who makes it. It is supposed to refreshen the black moldings on bumbers and bodywork of cars, especially when exposed to wax. Applies as a liquid with a shop rag. If I have a bottle left somewhere I post the correct product and manufacturer name.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Black Stuff

Post by EMS »

Oops! Richard, you may not be able to get this in CH. Forgot that you are posting from "over there"

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

Hey EMS, we do eat with knives and forks y'know....

I'll go down to the autoparts shop and see if he has any black plastic bumper touch up. Maybe if I talk r-e-a-l s-l-o-w he might understand.

Got to go plough the field with my hoss....
Ride safe, Richard

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Stuff

Post by EMS »

I know, Richard, it is not that bad and you even have paved roads. :shock: I lived there for the first 36 years of my life, you know. :!:
I just thought that the particular brand of product may not be available there. If you can't find anything similar, I am sure I can get a care package put together for you in exchange for some goodies I have a hard time finding here. Good Grappa, for exmple. :D

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

My wife's Italian....... send you a pizza in the post.
Ride safe, Richard

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Pizza

Post by EMS »

Naah! Too much carbohydrates! Pizza is for Tourists, anyway! But if your wife is Italian, I take some homemade Gnocchi, Prosciutto di Parma and some Zabaglione... :D :D

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Food

Post by EMS »

Wow! Reading my own post almost makes me ask Dave Kraeger to come back and add another category: "Exchange Recipes" :wink:

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

Contain yerself, gnocchi by post aint a nice sight !
Ride safe, Richard

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Back To Black by Mother's Polish Co. Its GREAT! Restored the nearly white blinker backs on my 79 to their original color. Sold at car parts shops as well. :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Mothers back to Black for the blinkers.I have found NOTHING to blacken bleached air boxes.You can scrape the crap with your finger nail but nothing else seems to effect it.James Elliot suggests bead blasting to bring it back to black.I've seen his and they look new.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Air Box

Post by EMS »

I think the air box has a clear plastic skin, that is the culprit as far as "bleaching" is concerned. Bead blasting will probably remove that to the black base material. I have seen some painted ones that did not look too bad.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

For the porous 79-80 blinkers I've found S-100 Engine Brite is better than my Mothers Back to Black and lasts MUCH longer.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

I just used some plastic flat black paint I bought at advance. It worked great. Left a good semi flat black appearance.

stad5

black

Post by stad5 »

A guy i know told me to use a heat gun.He said you have to be careful but makes it look like new! I have not tried it myself.I do Know he has redone alot of cars!

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”